Is a Breast Reduction from DD to an A Possible?

I am an 18 year old girl, size DD breasts (one is a D, I think, because they're disproportionate). Is it possible for me to be an A or B with a breast reduction?

Reducing Breast Size Dramatically

+1

Yes, breasts can be reduced to a very small cup size them may even look “disproportionate” to the remainder of your torso.
It is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly.   Sometimes  when patients want “almost nothing left”  the reduction should be done in 2 stages.  The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.  Doing the procedure in more than one stage allows the tissues to  acclimate to the surgically decreased blood flow before  further tissue removal (and potentially further decreased blood flow)  occurs ( with the 2nd stage operation).

The other concern with overly aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient size goals.

Breast reduction

+1

To reduce the breasts from a DD to an A is really  like doing a mastectomy.  There will be no shape to your breast. To keep the nipple areola alive and the skin flaps, there has to be ample tissue still connected to them.

Extreme breast reduction

+1

A breast reduction of that extent is technically possible but I'm not sure that it is in your best interest. Certainly not at this age. There will be extensive scars and your body may well change over the next few years and your thoughts may change. An alternative might be the "Scarless" reduction at this age. There is virtually no scar and it is performed using liposuction only as an outpatient operation and a procedure always takes less than one hour. It is certainly not ideal but might get you through this difficult. And you could always do more later if you choose.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon