Breast reduction from an E to a D with uplift without anchor or keloid scarring? (photo)

Hi, im 26, my breasts are too big for my frame and droopy - im 5"4, 9 &half stone. Ive recently seen a surgeon who said i would have an anchor shape scar instead of a lollipop, unable to breastfeed, may end up with keloid scarring due to my skin tone(im mixed race).This terrified me, although i have no history of keloid. I believed a small reduction & uplift could be done with lollipop scars and without disrupting the milk ducts. Im very upset at what Ive been told, anybody please help! Thanks.

+1

Thank you for your question. Judging from your photo, in my experience a vertical mammoplasty (lollipop lift) will result in a long inframammary segment which you will later want corrected, and that will eventually leave you with the same anchor scar. And this has been the experience of most of my colleagues. So it is best to perform the right operation from the start and avoid having to perform corrective surgery. Most techniques, either inferior pedicle or superior pedicle, do not disrupt the milk ducts and you will usually be able to breast feed, but this is unpredictable. As for keloid scars, again, no one can predict whether or not they will happen and your race really does not have much to do with it. So these are risks that you have to be aware of before making your decision. In other words, you have to be so bothered by the size and droopiness of your breasts that you would be willing to accept these risks. However, my recommendation is to make certain that you are under the care of an experienced Board-Certified plastic surgeon with a good reputation in breast reductions in the community.

Reductions brings the risk for scarring

+1

and you are no exception. With your starting anatomy, I could not give you a good result with a lollipop lift and would also recommend the anchor. If your nipples are really low, you may also need a nipple graft (which means loss of sensation and not breast feeding). All reductions reduce your ability to breast feed (you will likely need supplements off the shelf) and if breast feeding fully is a strong desire, postpone this until you have had your children. Though scary in thought, most people heal quite well. But it still comes down to you having to accept the inherent risks of the procedure and if life will be miserable if scarring occurs, then do not have this.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast reduction

+1

Different surgeons use different techniques for breast reduction. I almost always use an inverted T or anchor pattern especially in paitents that have very droopy breasts with nipples way down low. The result is more reliable in my hands using that technique. Keloid scarring is pretty rare unless you have a history of it in the past. With the anchor incision, thickening of the scar is most common out on the sides of the breasts, but with message this often improves greatly. Your genetics determine your scarring. Definitely consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and member of the American Society for Plastic Surgeons. Good luck!

Jeffrey Gusenoff, MD
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon