Breast Reduction for Teenagers, What Options are There for me?

I am 19 years old and I have 36 DDD sized breast. They are heavy and saggy. Is there anyway I can fix this without surgery? I have considered breast reduction surgery but I am skeptical considering the scars and other symptoms. Because I am so young I want my breast to be perky and not so bulky for my slim size. Please help!

It can be done.

+1

You certainly have a large problem with the size of your breasts and the sagging.

You can certainly have breast reduction surgery that will reduce the size of your breasts and

put them back on your chest where they belong.  There is a significant trade off.  You will have

at least 2 scars, and probably 3, on each breast.  You may loose some or all of the sensitivity

in your nipples.  You may not be able to breast feed.  Your breast may sag again requiring

the surgery again.  I know that sounds like a big trade off, however, my experience with

my young patients has been that almost all of them go ahead with the surgery regardless

of the trade off.  In these young years, your appearance and self confidence are so important

that the surgery may be worth it.  Please be sure to go to at least one and maybe 2 or 3

board certified plastic surgeons.  I would recommend not doing liposuction.  It will not work

very well on a young breast, and if it does, you will be left with even more sagging than you

have now.

Breast Reduction for Teenagers

+1

Based on your description you have juvenile breast hypertrophy. Your breasts likely contain very little fat. I doubt that liposuction could significantly reduce your breast size and leave you with perky breasts. A breast reduction addresses both the excess breast tissue and tightens up the breast skin. Schedule a consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for Teenagers Options?

+1

It sounds like  you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

Unfortunately, there is no nonsurgical way to reduce the breast size. Liposuction surgery is only indicated in the rare patient who requires a small reduction and has excellent overlying skin elasticity.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Breast reduction without a scar

+1

We understand your concern about breast reduction scars, and the only alternative is liposuction to reduce the breast size. At 19 we would not be optimistic as the breast is largely dense ductal tissue that will not respond to suctioning.

Best of luck, Peter Johnson, MD

Scarless reduction

+1
not perfect but look into Scarless or liposuction only reduction. it will atleast solve one of the problems.

Sherwood Baxt, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Reduction Alternatives Frought With Problems

+1

I understand your concerns about the scars from a breast reduction surgery, but I still feel that is your best option.  The only viable alternative treatment is breast liposuction which can remove weight from your breasts but is likely to leave you with worsened sagging since there would then be an excess os skin which is unlikely to contract or re-drape.

John Whitt, MD