What Can I Expect from my Breast Reduction?

I'm 17 and I have always been overweight and had a bigger chest. Well I'm already a triple D even though my waist and pants size is a 12. (I know not small but still very uneven.)

I have recently found out that I'm going to have a baby and I'm worried about back problems as a result of my breasts' enlarging. My parents have told me after I have the baby, they will pay for a tummy tuck and a breast reduction. But will I still look normal and how small or large might my breasts be?

Breast Reduction and Pregnancy?

+1

There is no accurate way of predicting exactly how the breasts will change after pregnancy and there is not much that can be done to avoid these changes ( if they are going to occur).  Maintaining a stable weight  (under the guidance of your OB/GYN) will be helpful in minimizing breast changes that occur secondary to significant weight fluctuations.

Some typical changes seen  after pregnancy include a decrease in size, “sagging" and/or the development of some asymmetry.  On the other hand, some women  experience very little change even after several pregnancies.

I would suggest you enjoy the pregnancy (as much as possible)  and the infant:  once you have completed your family and have reached a long-term stable weight consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. 

Breast Reduction after Pregnancy

+1

Plan on waiting 4 to 6 months after you stop breastfeeding (if you do) before having breast reduction surgery. You could do both procedures together and have what is called a "Mommy Makeover", however you should not have a tummy tuck until you are done having children. You are still very young so that might be many years away. Breast reduction surgery is one of the most rewarding procedures for cosmetic and reconstructive patients. The patients that have this procedure are among the happiest, as you get immediate gratification. Many times insurance will cover this procedure as it can cause medical conditions such as back, neck and shoulder pain. At the time of your consultation, your surgeon should be able to tell you the size that you can be reduced to and if you might be a candidate for insurance coverage.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Enjoy your pregnancy....wait for the reduction

+1

Although it is possible to ultimately create a B cup with a breast reduction surgery, it is important to discuss with your surgeon if this shape will complement the rest of your features and flatter your figure. Also discuss with your surgeon what technique he or she will use to create this breast reduction and how they will prolong the result. Your plastic surgeon should also review with you with your final scar configuration will look like. For such a large reduction, it is possible that your plastic surgeon may use a lollipop incision with a lateral extent in the crease below your breast.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Pregnancy and breast reduction

+1

Focus on your pregnancy now. A breast reduction can be performed several months later after you deliver. I would wait to have a tummy tuck until you are done with having more children. 

Concentrate on the pregnancy now, and worry about plastic surgery later

+1

At this point it would be better to concentrate on your pregnancy and leave the plastic surgery issues until later. When it s time for you to have plastic surgery, then seek the advice of a qualified plastic surgeon and they will be able to give you a better idea of what to expect with surgery. Good luck.

David Shafer, MD

Be careful about a tummy tuck at such a young age

+1

In terms of the breast reduction, I agree for the most part with what has been written by my colleagues, specifically to wait a few months after you have completed breast feeding before considering a breast reduction. It's important to remember, however, that breast reduction surgery does have some inherent risks, including losing sensation to the nipples and possibly losing the ability to breast feed in the future. So when you are considering this procedure, it's important to ask yourself if this matters to you or not, and to have a very thorough discussion with your surgeon about the advantages and disadvantages of the procedure.

The part of your story that I also wanted to comment on was the possibility of having a tummy tuck at age 17-18. It's important to understand that while a tummy tuck can really give you a wonderful improvement to the appearance of your abs, this look will completely change should you become pregnant again, which given how young you are, is certainly a possibility. My advice for women considering a tummy tuck is that in most cases (not all, but most) the best option is to wait until you have had all of your children, and then have one procedure that will last for years to come.

Good luck!

Dr. Salemy

Shahram Salemy, MD, FACS

Enjoy your pregnancy

+1

Hi there-

I agree with my colleague below... Enjoy your pregnancy and concentrate on the health and well-being of yourself and your baby.

Once you have delivered and stopped breast feeding (if you intend to), give your body 3-6 months to adjust to the changes of the pregnancy (which indeed are a bit unpredictable) before pursuing surgery.

Congratulations!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Post-pregnancy breast size

+1

As most mothers can tell you, pregnancy can do all sorts of things to your breasts that are unpredictable. Large breasts can shrink or get even larger.Small breasts can get larger or disappear completely. Wait a few months until after you have finished breast-feeding to see what your own breasts do and then decide. There is no use speculating at this point in time. Remember your body itself will change as well. Just focus on your pregnancy and health and taking care of your baby. The question then is not what your breast will look like after a reduction, but what do you want your breasts to look like and what surgery can help you get what you want. The surgery should be tailored to your anatomy and desires.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD