Breast Reduction: is an A Cup Possible? (photo)

Hi, I am very petite - 4ft 11, 100lbs and a U.S size 2. For my body my breasts are large at 34C / 32D. My dream would be to have a really slim, athletic A cup - or as small possible safely. I have wanted a reduction for 10 years now and have done all I can to reduce my weight/breasts and make this a last resort in terms of my body confidence and image. I would value any thoughts on this, I know I'm not the usual reduction candidate so have found it hard to research similar women. Thank you

To an A!!

+3

Breast Reductions can be done to almost any size. May I suggest it in terms of two options. First, do you want to proportional to your body size or smaller than your body size. If a patient is considered smaller than there body size the breast normally would stop at the edge of the chest wall. For you this probably is still going to be a B cup. A true A breast is very very small. Perhaps you should consider a consult and look at your surgeons actual pre & post operative photographs of breast reduction patients. This may enlighten you and give you a better idea of what the best size for you might be. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Columbia Plastic Surgeon

Mini Ultimate Breast Lift for small breast

+2

Your photograhs show marked hanging breasts.  You would benefit from a new technique called The Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to lift your breast higher on the chest wall, change the shape to increase upper pole fullness and increase cleavage by medial displacement.  This avoids the ugly vertical or boat anchor shaped scars of the traditional lift or reduction.  At the same time, a small amount of tissue can be removed if desired.  However, if you are a C or D that may not be necessary.  This technique transfers the weight of your breast to the underlying muscle immediately eliminating neck and back pain secondary to hanging breasts.  The other alternative would be to have liposuction first and then the lift second.  This would be a 2 staged procedure that I use only in people who are quite large.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

From C or D cup to an A cup in breast reduction

+1

An A cup is frequently not the goal of many women undergoing breast reduction.  A B cup may be more reasonable based upon your body habitus.  Remember that the result can be tailored as necessary, but a frank discussion with your board certified plastic surgeon about goals and size is necessary.

Think carefully about what you want

+1

While it is true that any size is possible following your reduction, remember that you will be living with your breasts for the rest of your life, and going from a large to a very small size can sound better than it looks over the long run.  The other thing to consider is the width of your breast, which will not change as much as the drooping, and so the smaller breasts can sometimes appear boxy and flat rather than aesthetic.

I recommend a consultation with a plastic surgeon for an educational consultation to talk about your goals.

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Any breast size can be achieved by a breast reduction but the amount to be removed may influence the technique.

+1

Patients who want a reduction pretty much can choose from any size.  Because of blood supply issues, the surgeon may favor one technique over the other as he would discuss with the patient.

Cup size after breast reduction not accurate

+1

Unfortunately we are stuck with a very inadequate system to discuss breast size, because the cup size depends on the width of the chest and circumference more than the actual volume of the breasts. Over-reducing can leave an unattractive "fried egg" look if the base width is too much for the degree of reduction. Describe your goals to your surgeon but don't worry if the actual cup measurement is not an A.

Richard Baxter, MD

Breast reduction and cup size

+1

Personally, I do not think that an "A" cup will be reasonably obtained when doing a standard breast reduction for you. In order to preserve the nipple areola and carry it on a mound of tissue and insure adequate thickness of the skin flaps that close around it, will not give you an "A" cup. If you have a free nipple graft technique which I would not recommend then you can get to an "A"ish cup size, but you would not have nipple sensation.  Sorry, but this is my opinion if you want to still maintain a decent shape. 

Breast Reduction: is an A Cup Possible?

+1

Yes it is possible. But ONLY in person examinations and measurements will allow the PS to determine the true feasibility of your request. 

Breasts Reduction to Small Size?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction/lifting surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  Most patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. 

With the goal of improving communication with my patients I find the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small)  very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “A or C cup” means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. 
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Yes, it is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly.  The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.  

The other concern with aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient size goals.