Considering Whether or Not I Should Have Breast Reduction to Correct Moderate Asymmetry After Lipo Didn't Give Me Great Results.

Hello, Last October, had my breast asymmetry corrected, left larger than the right one by a cup size. The surgeon decided to do a liposuction as in his opinion there was not much difference. At the same time he reduced the size of my areola by about 1.5 cm. I notice that my left breast is about 2 cm lower than my left breast and when I measure the under my breast it's about 2 cm bigger than my right breast. Do U think I should take the risk of having a breast lift or accept my results?

Breast Reduction to Treat Breast Asymmetry?

+2

The decision whether to proceed with breast reduction surgery is one that only you can make; this decision will come down to improvement of breast asymmetry and  acceptance of breast scars associated with breast reduction surgery. Keep in mind, that absolute breast symmetry will not be achieved despite best efforts.  Achieving  realistic expectations is very important.

Most patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations and the right time of their lives) accept the scars associated with breast reduction/lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do in the field of plastic surgery.

It may be in your best interest to meet with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons to discuss options.

Breast asymmetry

+2
It was a given that liposuction could not have created symmetrical breasts with identical nipple heights. A lot is written on this forum about breast scars but, frankly, I think that breasts of different heights are much more unseemingly than the scars, which tend to heal very well. Of course, there are always risks in surgery but I don't think you we were well served by the original operation. If the surgeon acceded to your request not to have scarring, then this is an example of why surgeons should perform the procedures they feel are appropriate and not what a patient thinks she wants because now you aren't happy with the outcome.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Asymmetry

+2

Liposuction only works well if your skin is thick and elastic. Otherwise yoou take the supporting fat out of a breast and it droops. Very predictable. You need to haver the skin and the breast tissue altered to get the result you are after. The question Is whether you are willing to accept the scars necessary to get the change. Only you can answer that.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast asymmetry correction can be improved with revision.

+2

Hi.

Without having examined you, I would say there is no reason why you should accept the result you are describing.  Women accept a scar very well if they end up with really symmetrical breasts, which is what they are seeking.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast lift - to do or not?

+2

There was no way liposuction alone would give you the best symmetry but it didn't make scars.  So, now you need to make a decision of trading shape for scar as there is no other direction you can go.  If you want better (not perfect symmetry), you sound like you will need a lift.  It all depends on what will bother you more - the asymmetry or the scars??

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Liposuction of breasts

+1

Liposuction can reduce the volume but does not move the nipple height significantly enough.  To better correct the asymmetry a reduction using incisons may be better.  An exam is essential.