Normal to Only Have One Consultation Before Breast Reduction Surgery?

Have already been approved for BS and have picked a well qualified PS. Im a healthy average size 5'5" 25 year old female but breasts are very large at 36DDD and I'm so ready to get rid of the pain and weight on my back and shoulders. Anyway, I have only been to one consultation and Dr didn't mention me coming back before surgery for blood work or labs or anything. He said he will see me on day of procedure then I will go home directly afterward. Is this ok? Please explain your protocol. Thanks!

Breast Reduction "Protocol”

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations were performed.

I will meet with patients at least twice in the office for preoperative consultations.  If possible,  I prefer to do the preoperative markings the day before surgery.

Preoperative visits and lab testing in 25 year old prior to breast reduction

+1

Every physician has a different style or approach to patient management and certainly this is an important aspect of the relationship. Early on in my practice, it was my desire to see patients twice prior to surgery but many complained about the inconvenience and scheduling difficulties. Therefore we often encourage 2 visits but frequently schedule after only one. AT you age, if you are in good health, it is unlikely you will require any pre-op testing other than a pregnancy test.

Breast surgery and surgeon

+1

I usually see my patients at least 2 times before surgery and sometimes more.  This includes the initial consultation and then a preoperative visit to review the procedure, take photos, etc..  AS to how many consultations to go on, I would have to say that is an individual choice.  Sometimes the first doctor you meet with has met all your criteria.

Number of Plastic Surgeon Visits BEFORE Breast Reduction

+1

Pre-Surgical interactions with a Plastic surgeon are VERY important. They are analogous to dating. If your dates are bad, would you have any real expectations that your marriage would somehow blossom and be fulfilling? 

When you visit a Plastic surgeon BOTH you and the surgeon are in effect "speed dating" or auditioning. He looks you over and thinks "Can I help this lady? Are her expectations realistic?" while you may think:"Is he sincere? is he knowledgeable? do I trust him? etc".  

If a Plastic surgeon appears to be disinterested, rushed, curt, will not answer your questions, WHY in God's name, would you allow him to operate on you? While his mother may think so, he is not the only Plastic surgeon out there. Walk away and find someone you DO like and trust. Yes, there are different personality and communication styles out there but we all can tell friendly from not. Pick a surgeon you like and trust and the rest will fall in place.

I see every patient at least twice before surgery. That give me the opportunity of making sure they understand the operations and recovery process plus it allows me to get the person I am about to operate on. Yes. It is a time commitment for both of us but it is well worth it. 

One consultation for breast reduction can be fine

+1

Generally we will see patients twice before breast reduction. The first visit is the most important for this is the time to get to know your surgeon, ask questions, and leave with a feeling that you understand the procedure and risks well. Once we arrive at a surgery date, we see patients two or three days before, and at that visit we will review post care instructions, provide needed prescriptions, and make the drawings for the reduction pattern such that they will resist showering. This offers a second opportunity to ask questions and understand the procedure and recovery plan. There is no need for lab tests in healthy patients. All our patients also go home the same day in a support bra. If you have questions or don't understand the procedure or risks, by all means call your surgeon ahead, and make a second appointment if you need one, though one visit can be enough.

peterejohnsonmd