Breast Reduction Complications? (photo)

I had a breast reduction done in January, that night I was back in emergency surgery for a bleed. The first week after I got home I noticed a small knot which the Surgeon stated was a hematoma! In September it was so large 4cm they done a Mammogram which I have to go back in December for another mammogram to see how much it has grown. It is now pulling in my nipple and has consumed 3/4 of my breast now! It is also as hard as a rock! If it was a hematoma would it still be growing?

Ultrasound and Mammogram to Help with Hardness after Breast Reduction

+1

This hardened area after physical exam and mammogram with ultrasound should have a diagnosis.  If not a small incision in the area of the previous scar can be made.  While it could be a hematoma or seroma, this may be fat necrosis.  Kenneth Hughes, MD HughesPlasticSurgery Los Angeles, CA

Complications after Breast Reduction?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the complications you have experienced after breast reduction surgery. Based on your concerns, it may give you peace of mind to seek additional consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons in your area. You may be dealing with the residuals of an organized hematoma and/or fat necrosis.

In person examination would be necessary to give you precise advice. Hopefully, in the long-term, you will be pleased with the outcome of the procedure performed.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

Breast hardness?

+1

Thanks for your post Ruth. This sounds like a fatty necrosis and not bleeding. Get a second opinion and have your new surgeon review the mammogram results. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Complication after breast reduction

+1

From what you described and photos that you provided, it appears the issue is more like fat necrosis rather than a growing hematoma. An ultrasound evaluation will help you discern if the mass is solid or liquid. In any case if it's getting bigger and causing discomfort then it needs to be removed. 

Best Wishes,

Stewart Wang, MD FACS, Wang Plastic Surgery

Breast hematoma

+1

This sounds more like fat necrosis than a hematoma to me.  An exam and a diagnostic test such as an ultrasound may be helpful to distinguish the two.  In any case, fat necrosis should generally be removed or excised since this is essentially non-living tissue.

Southport Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma in breast

+1

Heamtomas can happen and can cause problems if they are large. Usualy sonogram is somethiing that is used to evaluated fluid not a mammogram. Scarrring can develop from organized hemeatomas or fat necrosis.

Post op

+1

Hematomas can happen after any procedure. They are very a very unfortunate occurrance but a part of doing surgery. I am glad that you are OK. This may be fat necrosis. Please revisit your surgeon for re evaluation 

Hello

+1

Without and exam and not knowing your whole history we cannot tell you what can be going on. You need to see your PS to see what can be done.

Breast Reduction Complications?

+1

Your questions are not easy to answer without photos and a chance to review the imaging studies you have had. 

Typically a hematoma would have resorbed by this many months after surgery. It should not be growing unless there is ongoing bleeding or an infection. If it it still present, and hard as you describe, consideration should be given to surgery to removed the residual hematoma, or whatever it may be. Hopefully you are following up with your surgeon. If not you should be. If this is being ignored, try a second opinion. Thanks, and best wishes.