Breast Reduction Caused Keloid or Hypertropic Scars. What Do I Do? (photo)

Exactly a year ago I had a breast reduction. I asked the PS several times regarding what should I use after my surgery. He sugguested nothing. After seveal months of telling him my concerns regarding the keloid looking thing that was developing between my breast. He replied to stating he could inject steroids in the scar but it would turn pinkish in color. I just returned to him from my year exam and he said. try scarguard. I'm really over this doctor. Will scar guard work?

Keloid Hypertrophic Scarring

+1

In most cases this does not happen but if you happen to be a genetic carrier of genes that causes thicker scars you may get one of each. In most cases a hypertrophic scar injected with kenalog shots will decrease the hypertrophic scar down to what is considered clinically normal. Where as a keloid often times has to be removed and sometimes even radiated after removal with no guarantee it will not come back.

Topical scar treatment has a low chance of success

+1

At one year your scars are relatively mature and topical scar treatments are not likely to be successful.  It will not hurt if you would like to give it a try.  Silicone tape is also a good option.  Chances are, significant improvement would really only be accomplished through scar revision.  After doing so it may be wise to try silicone tape in the healing phase.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Hypertrophic Scarring After Breast Reduction

+1

I am sorry you have experienced this problem. It most commonly affects this scar, known as the inframammary scar. Although I agree injections with corticosteroids is not a good idea, using topical scar treatment products like Scarguard is useless.  There are two ways you can go. The first is laser therapy with a device that targets red blood cells, and therefore bloodvessels.  I have found that this works well only in scars that 'blanch', the phenomenon of turning white after pushing on the scar for a moment before returning to it's reddish or violet color. The most common laser in this category is Candela's V-Beam laser. Another option is surgical excision of the scar with precise closure and long term taping (three months). Although there is a risk of recurrence, I have found that this can lead to an improvement.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS