Breast Reduction- Will I Be Able to Care for an 18 Month Old 7-10 Days Post Op? (photo)

Hoping to go from a 36 DD/DDD to C cup this winter. I believe I meet our insurance requirements (including having seen a chiro for almost 3 years now). My only concern is caring for my (then) 18 month old post op. She will be about 25 lbs. My husband will be home 7-10 days. I have thought of ways to avoid picking her up, such as having her eat at a small table, and using an ottoman to let her climb into the crib (drop side).

Childcare after breast reduction

+2

You are wise to plan ahead.  At 18 months old, you can begin to modify your daughter's behavior, encouraging her to climb up, etc. now rather than waiting until after the procedure. You may want to consider a few hours of assistance for a week or so after your husband returns to work.

Caring for an infant possible only a few days after breast reduction.

+1

Convalescence from a breast reduction is usually pretty easy. You may have to adjust some of your activities with the infant but within a few days you should be able to live up to your responsibilities.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com/subpag,15-atlanta-breast-reduction.htm

+1

I tell my patients NO lifting for 3 weeks after breast reduction. Best to check with your chosen surgeon their advise! 

Yes, you will be able to care for yoru daughter.

+1

Hi DDD2C.  Yes, you should have no problems taking care of your daughter.  Most of my patients tell me their breast reduction was less painful than they thought it would be.  Of course, anything you can do to lessen your workload is a good idea.  Good luck! 

Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Strenuous activity after a breast reduction

+1

Planning ahead is always wise. I will tell patients to avoid heavy lifitng for 6 weeks. As for a child,if the child needs to be lifted, it is always better for him/her to climb into your arms. But I recommend to my patients to wait 2-3 weeks.

Activities after a breast reduction

+1

Most patients will be back to activities of daily life by 7 to 10 days.  You may have some difficulty or pain with lifting but should be okay.  

Lifting after breast reduction

+1

I think you will be fine with your child. During a breast reduction, the pectoralis muscle is not altered.  When you lift you should not be hurting anything within the breast.  You should try to avoid hitting your breast, but I am not too concerned about you lifting him 7 days postop, unless he kicks/hits you in your breast....ouch!  just be careful and you should be fine. 

Richmond Plastic Surgeon