Does Breast Reduction Make Your Breasts Loose Volume, Become Flat and Leave Hideous Scars?

I am 17 years old, and I have a DD. My breasts are round and don't sag at all. They're just too large for my taste. I am extremely self-concious about this and want a breast reduction to reduce my breasts to a B cup. However I am scared that if I get one, I'll loose volume, my breasts will become flat and I'll have hideous scars. What should I expect in my situation?

Breast Reduction and Teenagers

+2

The first step is to discuss your concerns with your parents. Together you can find an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in your area. Upon consultation and examination your surgeon will be able to discuss the benefits and risks of breast reduction surgery at the age of 17. My breast reduction patients report that they are finally able to have an active life without having to be self conscience about their breast size..  Best wishes!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction, flat breasts, volume loss, scars?

+1
Some of our breast reduction patients are the happiest that we have in the practice. These are the women with significant bra strapping, back and neck pain. If you are going to reduce the size of the breast significantly, you most likely will have scars. Scars are permanent. They end to fade over time. We have our patients keep the scars away from UV light, and use scar cream. We can talk about scar revision, but usually wait at least a year. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon.

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Breast Reduction for Teenager?

+1

It sounds like  you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Not all scarring is hideous.

+1

Breasts that are too large have too much volume by definition. The scarring that is  necessary for a reduction depends on many factors. Consult with a qualified, board certified plastic surgeon for a complete evaluation.

There is also the possibility of adding an implant with the lift. Speak with a board certified plastic surgeon.

The results of scarring also depends on many factors that can be explained by your surgeon. Not all scars are hideous. Some are almost invisible.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Beautiful shapes are possible after breast reduction

+1

An examination of breast tissue quality and dimensions is important in determining the best operative technique.  Techniques that are available include liposuction (minimal scars) to reduced scars with contemporary approaches.  The preservation of cleavage and upper pole fulness is possible with the right approach.  Have a candid discussion with your surgeon about your symptoms, and expectations, and include your mother or legal guardian in your decision making.  There are several modalities ranging from topical products to injections to lasers that are effective at improving the appearance of scars postoperatively. 

Vaishali Doolabh, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction with no scars.

+1

Liposuction is an option to reduce the volume of the breasts.  It is best for a modest reduction in the breast size as shown in the nice video by Dr Placik because no skin is removed and so the breasts can be more droopy following liposuction - the more fat you remove, the more droopy they become.  A younger patient with pert breasts like you, may benefit as your skin is more likely to recoil (you don't smoke do you?) and you are starting without any significant sag.

Of course the upside of liposuction is that the scarring is significantly less than a formal breast reduction and often unnoticeable.  However, as with most things, for every upside there is a downside. 

Discuss it fully with a trained plastic surgeon and think hard before embarking on surgery, especially at your age.  The title of your post is a bit negative and I am not sure if you are in the right frame of mind to take on a breast reduction at the moment.

Jonathan J. Staiano, FRCS (Plast)
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

VIDEO BELOW: 17 year old with large breasts and scared of scars. Consider lipo if nipples well placed.

+1

As a 17 year old with large breasts and scared of scars, yo may want to consider lipo if your nipples are well placed. I have attached a video showing an example of a yound individual with a liposuction breast reduction.

Breast Reduction, Scars, Age 17 and more

+1

Breast reduction is a great operation for the proper candidate.  At age 17 you need special evaluation by at least 3 surgeons.   See surgeons boarded by the ABPS.   A well done breast reduction with the vertucal technique and medial pedicle of Hall Findlay look very nice and has more limited incisions and scars but still some incisions.   A proper breast reduction shopuld leave an attractive well supported braest.  Of course when you have chil;dren you will change and could need something else for breasts..  The first queastion is at age 17 should breast reduction be done.  The answer is possibly.   Get opinions from ABPS surgeons and then think for a year or so and talk to other young ladies who have had similar.  This should help you.     Good fortune to you.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction is an excellent operation

+1

In a recent ASPS patient survery- breast reduction ranked amongst the highest in patient satisfaction rates post-op. Over 90%, by my recollection. On RealSelf.com - patients report an 88% satisfaction rate. If the consequence of BBR was 'lose volume...become flat...hideous scars...' then this operation would be a failed concept. Seek out a good plastic surgeon for an opinion.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction Makes Smaller Breasts That Will Have Scars

+1

While breast reduction can achieve smaller breasts, it does so at the 'price' of scars and the loss of some natural fullness or roundness. That is a trade-off that one has to be willing to make...and it is an irreversible decision. If you are not absolutely certain of that exchange then breast reduction surgery is not for you.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD