Is Breastfeeding Possible After Breast Reduction?

I am 20 years old and I have 38DD breasts. I would love to get a breast reduction because as long as I can remember I have had back, neck and knee problems. I have horrible posture and running and exercising is difficult because my breasts get in the way. If I have the breast reduction done, will I still be able tp breast feed in the future?

Breast feeding possible after breast reduction

+1

Most women can breast feed after a breast reduction procedure.  If you have not previously breast fed, then it is possible you might not be able to breast feed even if you don't have the procedure, so there is no guarantee that you can 100% breast feed after the procedure.

One type of breast reduction that is performed in extremely large breasts, a free nipple/areolar graft technique, where it is impossible to breast feed after the surgery.  This is because the nipple is removed and replaced as a skin graft, so all nerve, blood vessel and milk duct connections have been severed.

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding and reduction

+1

Thre is a 15% loss of breast feeding after reduction. Reductions can be done as early as 15 with parental consent, a proper medical clearance and breast growth that has stopped. Insurance coverage is a hit or miss depending on the carrier.  Usually having symptoms related to breast size is necessary for insurance coverage. Getting it covered though is very difficult. Insurance companies wont tell anyone how much tissue needs to be removed to qualify for coverage. Then if the surgeon is 1gram off they deny coverage after the fact. Insurance companies make money by denying coverage. For that reason most plastic surgeon will likely ask for payment up front.  Breast reductions are the most gratifying operations because years of neck, back and shoulder pain are gone within days.  The final size result depends on your starting size. If you start larger then you will likely end larger. It is not possible to choose a size with any real accuracy. The main reason is that the procedure removes breast tissue but leaves enough tissue to preserve the blood supply to the nipple and areola. Thus more tissue needs to be left behind to ensure nipple viability. The nipple and areola is constantly being accessed during the operation. See a board certified plastic surgeon for specifics on your treatment.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

Breast feeding after breast reduction surgery

+1

Breast reduction surgery can be incredibly helpful for women with large breasts. It can help treat shoulder, neck, and upper back pain, shoulder grooving from bra straps, difficulty with exercising, and difficulties fitting into clothing. It can also help with hygiene issues.  My breast reduction patients are usually very happy with their surgery and most wish they had it sooner.

Having said that, it is impossible to predict whether or not a woman will be able to breast feed after a breast reduction. But even after a large breast reduction, there will still be breast tissue present that has the potential to produce milk. So if a woman was able to nurse before a breast reduction, then there is a very good chance she will be able to nurse after a breast reduction.

I suggest you meet with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your situation in more detail. I hope that helps and wish you all the best!

James Knoetgen, III, MD
Fresno Plastic Surgeon

Breastfeeding After Breast Reduction

+1

The answer is yes. The ability to breastfeed post breast reduction is dependent on the type of technique used during surgery. The reason you sometimes hear that breastfeeding isn't possible after a reduction is because a breast reduction surgery can impede full milk production if milk ducts are severed or nerves are damaged.

There are two main types of breast reductions. With the pedicle technique, the nipple and areola remain attached while the excess breast tissues is removed, maintaining breast function and nipple sensation. The free nipple technique requires both the nipple and areola to be removed, thus severing glands and in turn, losing complete function, sensitivity and obviously lactation.

If breastfeeding is important to you, it is important to select a board certified plastic surgeon that has experience in the surgical techniques needed to preserve the ability to nurse.

Brad Herman, MD

Breast Reduction and Breast Feeding?

+1

Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery;  it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

The majority of patients who undergo breast reduction surgery ( unless they have had free nipple grafting)  will be able to breast-feed.

Breast Feeding After Breast reduction

+1

Breast feeding after breast reduction is possible, but not assured.  

Some women are unable to breast feed even without having had any breast surgery,  so the reason not to be able to breast feed may have nothing to do with the breast reduction itself.

There are a variety of breast reduction surgery techniques that preserve the connection between the nipple and the ducts to the glandular tissues of the breast that produce the milk.  While not a certainty, these breast reduction techniques  may allow you to breast feed.  

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Breast feeding after breast reduction

+1

It is possible to breast feed after breast reduction.  It is dependent on many variables.  During the procedure, tissue, (with ducts) are removed.  This can decrease the ability to nurse.  Also scarring around the nipple areola complex can also be a variable.  Remember some people without any surgery will not be able to breast feed.  Every individual is different, so it is difficult to predict if you personally will be able to do this.  Best to speak with your board certified plastic surgeon.  Tell him your concerns and together you will make an appropriate decision. 

Jeffrey Roth, MD

Breast feeding after reduction

+1

the current data is that yes you can breast feed, to some degree it depends on the type of pedicle used.  the only difference is that the amount of milk you make may be insufficient and bottle supplement may be required. if your symptoms warrant it, you should not be afraid to proceed. good luck

Rafael C. Cabrera, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding after breast reduction

+1

It is difficult to predict if a patient can breast feed after a breast reduction. I always tell my patients that some larger breasted women can not breast feed one child, whereas a small breasted woman maybe able to produce milk for more than one child. Certainly some of the breast tissue is removed during a reduction, and this may limit the ability to breast feed.

Breast Reduction and Breast Feeding

+1

The chances of you being able to breast feed without any surgery at this point is around 70%. After a breast reduction your chances are slightly decreased but not by much. Now if you tell me that you have breast fed in the past and you are thinking about having a breast reduction, then I would say that the chances that you will be able to breast feed is high.

Hope that answers your questions.

Farbod Esmailian, MD