Which is Better Breast Reduction or Breast Lift?

I'm 19 years old, 32D and although I've never found them heavy my breast have been sagging ever since I can remember. I am scheduled for a breast reduction in July although I had originally thought of a breast lift. I'm actually happy with my size so I'm scared that it will be reduced a lot. I am also scared of scarring (although I know its inevitable) since I already have several big scars from earlier surgeries (non plastic surgeries). Im not sure which is better. Thanks in advance.

Breast Lift vs, Reduction

+1

Both weight and poor skin quality will cause your breats to sag. A lift for large breasts won't last very long if skin tone is poor. In addition the breasts may seem too full after only removing skin. A small reduction may last longer and result in a much better shape with the same scars

Breast Reduction or Breast Lift?

+1

It sounds (from your description) that you would benefit from a breast lift surgery. If you like the size of your breasts (32D) and don't want them reduced, then you need to speak with your plastic surgeons and I recommend taking photos of the size you would like to achieve after surgery so that there is clear communication.

Each patient differs but for most, the incisions are similar (breast lift vs. breast reduction)... the main difference would be the amount of breast tissue removed.

Communication is key!

Breast lift vs reduction

+1

It sounds as if a Breast lift is a more appropriate surgery if you want to maintain your current cup size (or close to).  If you wanted to be a 32B cup for instance, that would be a breast reduction.  Both surgeries (reduction and lift) have anchor type scars which should end up healing nicely if your plastic surgeon does this surgery often.  If you are concerned about your cup size being too small after surgery you need to address this with your plastic surgeon prior to surgery.  Good luck to you!

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Advantages of breast reduction or breast lift

+1

These operations have similar scars.  I always ask patients if their concern is the position of the breasts, the size of the breasts, or both.  Even in a lift, a small amount of tissue is removed.  You need to discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

David A. Lickstein, MD

Breast lift or breast reduction?

+1

In my practice, these two surgeries are almost exactly the same. The only difference is how much breast tissue is being removed. The incisions and scars are the same and the nipple position is moved in the same fashion. I think that having the ability to at least remove some of the breast tissue allows the surgeon to more effectively reshape the breast tissue under the skin. You can talk with your surgeon about how much tissue is going to be removed that will leave you with the desired size. Hope this helps.

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction or Lift?

+1

One procedure is not better then the other. It is a question of what your goals are?  Both procedures usually involve a lift and repositioning the nipple higher on the breast mound and may involve similar scars.  A breast reduction also involves removal of breast tissue to help reduce volume and weight and provide symptom relief of neck pain, back pain, etc.  You should discuss this further with your plastic surgeon prior to proceeding with surgery if there any questions.  

Stephen Delia, MD

Breast Lift vs. Breast Reduction

+1

You have actually answered the question already and you didn't even realize it.  When a breast reduction is performed, there is no way to complete this surgery without making your breasts smaller (even in a small reduction).  Therefore, if you are happy with your current volume (especially in a bra), but are unhappy with the position of your breasts on your chest wall, then you will probably be better served with a breast lift.  I would spend additional time with your plastic surgeon to review these options so that you completely understand which surgery you will have.

Marcus Crawford, MD

Breast Reduction VS Breast Lift

+1

Your question is impossible to answer without an examination and discussing your goals with you. BOTH Breast Reduction and Breast Lift procedures produce perky, youthful breasts. In the case of Breast Lift the new perky breasts will be of the same cup size while with a Breast Reduction you would would have perky SMALLER breasts.

So - what size perky breasts do you want to have in exchange for the SAME scars??? This is totally up tp you.

Good Luck from Memphis

Peter A Aldea, MD