Breast Reduction Asymmetry? (photo)

Hello! I had asked about my asymmetry following a breast reduction, but I was a week post op and didn't include pictures. I'm almost 5 weeks post op now, and my left breast (which has always been larger and therefore had more tissue removed) is clearly bigger than my right breast (hopefully the pictures help portray that). Neither breast feels substantially swollen at all, and I'm definitely freaking out about the size difference. I see my surgeon again at the end of July. Help! Haha!

Asymmetry after Breast Reduction Surgery?

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures. The breast asymmetry that you are referring to is clearly visible in the photographs. Most likely, although the breasts may continue to change over the course of the next few months, you will end up with significant breast asymmetry. In my opinion, revisionary surgery will be helpful.

Prepare to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon in a calm/constructive fashion. Keep in mind that most plastic surgeons work hard to  achieve the results their patients are looking for; I think that is unlikely that you will have any difficulty convincing your plastic surgeon that revisionary surgery will be “necessary”.

If you are okay with the size of the smaller breast, the most  straightforward option for revisionary breast surgery will be further reduction of the larger breast.  Timing of the revisionary surgery of course will need to be discussed.

Breast reduction asymmetry can be corrected.

+1

Hi.

You have quite a good result, but one breast is clearly larger, and it clearly bothers you.  So you should wait three months and probably have a further small reduction of the larger breast.  Don't think this is swelling.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Breast Reduction Asymmetry

+1
Thank you for your question and photos. As you know breast asymmetry is quite common under normal circumstances. The good news is that you have an excellent breast reduction result!.  Your surgeon did a terrific job of giving you a nice shape with minimal scars.  You are in fact a bit more asymmetric than ideal. It is tough to comment further without preop photos, but a small revision on the right would certainly help. Sometimes this can be accopmplished in the office.  Your surgeon is likely to agree and be happy to address the issue.  Best wishes.

Robert F. Centeno, MD, FACS
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and assymetry

+1

Surgery will always bwe a balencing act when the procedure reduces volume, alters skin, and changes height of nipple in one procedure. If there is assymetry pre operatively there will likley be some assymetry post operatively. It is still early in the post operative recovery, give it some time for healing to progress and stay in touch with the surgeon regards the result and yioyr concerns

Jeremy Hunt   

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry after reduction

+1

occurs with regularity BUT if your photos do not change, you will have a significant asymmetry.  Your doctor should be involved in the thought process as to how best to remedy this.  You will have options and things can be made better so do not despair.  Heal and be ready to discuss your options with your surgeon.  And if your surgeon wants the best results for his patients, he will have several options from which you can choose.

Curtis Wong, MD

Possible revision of a breast reduction

+1

It does appear that you have some degree of asymmetry.  If this persists over the next 6 months or so then you certainly would be a candidate for a revision.  

Breast asymmetry

+1

Yes, you have asymmetry of the breasts.  You should discuss with your surgeons the options to try to get the volumes similar.  ( implants/reduction/etc.)

Breast Reduction Asymmetry?

+1

No reason to wait til end of july you will need revisional surgery. Sorry to say there was a poorly preformed surgery. 

Breast Reduction Asymmetry?

+1

The asymmetry may well exist after several months, but you should heal before contemplating another surgery.  You should realize that reducing a substantially larger breast to meet the smaller breast is not the easiest thing to accomplish.  However, a revision can probably get you closer.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Breast reduction post op asymmetry

+1

There is clear discrepancy between the 2 breasts. Although minor asymmetry is common this example is something that can be made better with a revisional operation at a later date.

Nilesh Sojitra, MSc, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon