Breast Reduction and PMDD?

I’m 40,~5”1’,106#,34D.I’ve always felt top heavy and embarrassed.I recently started going to a hormone dr bcuz I have PMDD emotional & physically (bloating, swollen & sore breasts). He put me on some hormones which I think might be helping me emotionally but physically it is not (maybe even worse). He advised I give it a few more mnths he said it should help. I asked if it doesn’t if a BR could be an option. He said as a last resort, yes. Would my severe PMS affect the surgery and/or post-op.

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you have experienced with relatively large breasts.  Based on your description, the breasts are too large for your frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications.  

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. " Severe PMS"  will not necessarily effect the surgery or your postoperative course.

Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.
Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

PMS and Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

If you are otherwise healthy, then having PMS will not affect how you heal after breast reduction surgery.

Thanks for your question. Best of luck!

Gregory C. Park, M.D.

Gregory Park, MD