Breast Reduction and Lovenox? Doctor and Patient Experiences?

What are your experiences with this surgery and patients on Lovenox? I'm asking because I just got back from my consultation, and my doctor has never performed surgery on patients with clotting disorders and she plans on consulting with my PCP. Any information is much appreciated!

Breast Reduction and Clotting Disorder?

+1

Your plastic surgeon is doing the right thing by consulting with your primary care physician and/or hematologist. Depending on exactly what “clotting disorder” you have, recommendations may differ.

Good luck with your upcoming breast reduction procedure; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

Clotting issues and breast reduction

+1

A full work-up and recommendations from your hematologist will be essential before undergoing a breast reduction.

Lovenox for breast reduction

+1

For individuals with a history of clotting, lovenox is important after breast reduction. During surgery both stockings and compression boots are recommended. Lovenox comes in a 'kit' form and is easy to use for patients. Just like insulin the injection is placed just under the skin. The first dose is 12 hours after your surgery, and continued for five days with early walking depending on your risk. Consulting with your PCP is the best idea to assemble a 'team' to see you through.

PCP Consultation Can Be Beneficial

+1

You should not be concerned that your surgeon is consulting with another physician about your bleeding disorder.  This the sign of a good and caring physician.  Be more wary of a surgeon who is cavalier and thinks he/she knows all about everything.

John Whitt, MD