Breast Reduction And/or Lift? (photo)

I have large breast with significant sag. I also have scoliosis and a spinal fusion from 2001 to correct the curve so my breasts add to my back pain. I'd been considering a reduction but will they lift with the reduction or is that a separate thing they do? And I don't want them to have really bad scars and I've heard reductions and lifts can leave some bad scars. Suggestions, tips, all advice welcome. Just not sure what would best help my sag and pain.

No vertical scar lift

+1

You are an excellent candidate for a new technique called The Ultimate Breast Lift.  This technique avoids the ugly vertical scars of the lollipop or boat anchor shaped incisions.  Your breast tissue is reshaped to increase anterior projection and upper pole fullness, elevated higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase cleavage.  The weight of the breast is transferred to the underlying muscle to produce long term stability and relieves pain.  Nipple sensation is preserved as well as the ability to breast feed.  The scars are hidden around the areola and the shadows of the breast.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction And/or Lift?

+1

Best to be seen in person by a boarded PSs in your city. A breast reduction is a lift plus removal of tissue vs a breast lift is removal of excess skin. So a Lift can be a reduction or not while a reduction is definitely a lift. Remember these operations have scars so you need to fully understand the scar risks. 

Breast Reduction And/or Lift?

+1

Hi Jesica

Thanks for your question. A Breast Reduction includes a lift. You will benefit from having a Breast Reduction. In addition to correcting the saggy breasts, it will help your back pain. When you see your Plastic Surgeon discuss the type of breast reduction performed and the scar. One is a Lollipop type scar and the other is a Anchor scar. if you dont scar well then you should consider having a lollipop type scar as this is smaller and will avoid a scar in the breast fold.

Hope this helps

Naveen Somia, MBBS, PhD, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

Braest reduction is a breast lift

+1

A breast reduction will involve a lift as well

The aim is the breast cup size you want, with the nipple on the top of the breast mound and enough skin to cover the breast mound. This may involve reducing the volume of the breast, lifting the nipple and reducing the excess skin.  This will result is scars and bigger the reduction, the more likely the more scarring that will be needed as the skin will need to be reduced.

The benefit of the reduction then needs to outweigh the down side of the scars and in my experience this is always the case. But the scars are necessary to achieve the breast reduction

All the best

Jeremy Hunt   

Jeremy Hunt, MBBS, FRACS
Sydney Plastic Surgeon

A breast lift is always part of a breast reduction.

+1

All breast reductions in addition to removing weight reposition and reshape the nipple and areola complexes. This comes at the expense of some scars whose length is proportional to the amount of skin taken out. Most of the time they are quite acceptable.

A breast reduction will reduce and lift your breasts

+1
Based on your photos, you appear to be a good candidate for a breast reduction. If you decide to undergo a breast reduction you will get a breast lift simultaneously. The lift is part of the breast reduction surgery. There are scars involved with any type of surgery. But, the trade off for most patients is worth it. When you have your consultation with your local plastic surgeon you should be able to have all your questions answered about breast reduction surgery. Thanks you for sharing you photos and question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Breast reduction scars using modern techniques can be of excellent quality

+1

I would recommend a Wise pattern breast reduction using a medial pedicle. This is technical jargon, but you can seek out a plastic surgeon that can provide this procedure, and I think you'll have a very nice result. 

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Breast Reduction/Lifting Candidate?

+1

thank you for the question and pictures.  Based on your description of concerns and photographs, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction/lifting surgery. When breasts are reduced they are “automatically” lifted as well. These operations are best done when patients have achieved a long-term stable weight.

Breast lifting involves some degree of tightening and lifting of the breast skin envelope and tissue.  In order to tighten the skin envelope, skin excision is necessary;  this results in the presence of scars. 
Sometimes, the presence of scars is a “dealbreaker”;  patients would prefer to leave their breasts unchanged than to have scars. At other times, patients  prefer to have the improvement in breast position, shape, and (possibly) size  and are willing to accept the trade-off of scars.

I hope the attached link is helpful to you.  Best wishes.