Breast Reduction and Cancer?

I am doing the breast reduction surgery this November... going from G to C.. Is it true what a person told that simple mistake can cause a cancer? also.. another doctore told my brother that I can request to reduce fat from my back in the same operation... is this a normal thing in the procedure? why do they recommend it? I believe the surgery will eleminate the pressure and I won't see problem in my sholders or back area.

No Increased Risk for Breast Cancer after Breast Reduction

+2

You should feel comfortable going into surgery as breast reduction has one of the highest rates of patient satisfaction. Most women feel an improvement right away. 

There is no truth that any part of a breast reduction surgery can cause any cancer. In fact, all medical studies show no increased risk of breast cancer after breast reduction. One study which reviewed all the other studies showed a possible lower likelihood of cancer after breast reduction. 

As for removing fat from the back, that is not part of a breast reduction procedure but can be done at the same time if you desire and your surgeon thinks it is reasonable to do. However, this counts as an additional procedure so you would be need to discuss the additional costs with your surgeon. 

Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction and liposuction of back

+1

First, a  breast reduction does not increase your risk of cancer, in fact it may decrease your risk in some ways since the "breast load" is lower.  In addition,  performing liposuction of the back at the same time is certainly reasonable.

Breast reduction, cancer risk, and liposuction

+1

Breast reduction does not increase your risk of breast cancer. Period. In fact, the tissue sent from your reduction can help identify patients that should undergo increased screening for breast cancer or find abnormalities.

For the lipo, I almost always liposuction the fat on the side of the breasts, which almost everyone with big breasts has - that fat that hangs over your bra strap. If you don't have it removed it will still be there afterwards, and not match your new cute and adorable breasts. So I strongly recommend you have it removed!

Lisa B. Cassileth, MD

Breast Reduction And Breast Cancer

+1

A breast reduction surgery will not increase or decrease your chances of developing breast cancer in the future.  I am unsure of what your "friend" was trying to tell you.  I do feel that patients can more easily feel an abnormal mass during self exam following their reductions.

John Whitt, MD