Can I Have a Breast Reduction After a Breast Lift?

I had a breast lift 9 weeks ago. I was a 34G and he said I would be a DD after surgery. I'm still a G. Can I have a reduction after a lift? Are there additional risks since I've had one breast surgery already?

Breast Reduction after Breast Lift?

+1

Yes it is possible to have breast reduction surgery after breast lifting surgery.  You are wise to be concerned about risks associated with further surgery.  Having this surgery done by the same surgeon or retrieving previous operative reports ( for a new surgeon) will be helpful. 

I would suggest to evaluate the end results of your recent surgery one year post op before you make any decisions for further surgery.

Revision breasts

+1

If you feel that you are still too large, it is certainly reasonable to have them reduced but I would wait 6 months or so at least until the tissue have healed from the previous surgery.

Breast reduction AFTER breasr lift

+1

You can certainly have a breast reduction after a breast lift but I would recommend that you wait for swelling to resolve: approximately 6-9 months. If your sagging has been corrected and you are still unhappy with the size ayou could undergo minimally invasive reduction with liposuction.

Getting a Re-Do Breast Reduction VS a Breast Reduction after a Breast Lift

+1

A Breast Lift (Mastopexy) shapes and Lifts the breasts. It does NOT reduce them.

A Breast Reduction primarily reduces the breasts as well as Lifts them.

Your story is quite confusing. As I understand it ,you saw a Plastic surgeon with 34G breasts asking for a Breast Lift (NOT a Breast Reduction). That operation would have temporarily lifted the breasts (before they sagged again) BUT left them the SAME size (G). By your account, this is exactly what you were left with - G breasts.

Yet - you also state that the Plastic surgeon said he would reduce the breasts from G to approximately DD. That can be accomplished with a Breast Reduction NOT with a Breast Lift.

It sounds as if you had a Breast Lift NOT a Breast Reduction. Without examining your surgeon's operative report, it is impossible to tell what took place.

Now, it sounds like you are interested in a Breast Reduction after all. Obviously, there would have been less risks had the Breast Reduction been done in the first place. Each operation results in scarring and less blood supply to the breast skin and the nipple complex. As a result, the risks of wide scars, dead breast fat (fat necrosis) and even loss of the nipple complex may increase with each operation.

I would wait up to 6 months before having another breast operation. This would allow the circulation to the skin and nipple area to develop better and for surgical swelling to resolve. In the meantime you should discuss with your surgeon the long term goals.

In general, lifted or unlifted large breasts sag faster. A breast reduction would provide you with smaller, perkier breasts for a longer period of time.

Breast Reduction after Lift

+1

It is possible and feasible, but you need to get the operative report with you when you go see a surgeon, unless you go to the same surgeon.

I would also recommend waiting for about 4-6 months before moving forth with reduction surgery.

Good luck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Breast reduction after lift

+1

Yes, you can have a reduction after a lift but you should get as much information about your surgery as possible if you are not going with the same surgeon. A reduction of your size will require moving the nipple significantly and blood supply to the nipple can be compromised. Your surgeon may or may not need to modify his approach depending on the technique used in the lift.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD