Breast Reduction Advice for a 15-year-old?

I'm 15 years old, 5'4", and weighing 135 lbs. I have 32G/32GG breasts. I have extremely bad back, neck, and shoulder problems, extremely bad posture, and I cannot do most physical activities. I also have huge psychological issues with my breasts that really affect me. I've been considering breast reduction since I was about 12 with 32DDD. I would not expect to have it until next summer when I turn 16, but I have been researching it and truely want one. I want an opinion from professionals.

Breast reduction will relieve symptoms.

+3

Hi.

1) I've seen a bunch of girls like you, and my heart goes out to you. This is very bad. You have 2 choices.

2) I've done breast reduction on girls like you right away. The problem is that your breasts will continue to grow, and you will need a revision when you are 20. But you seem so troubled that I would do it.

3) The other option (which for you I do not recommend) is to suffer for another 3 years, and then have surgery when your breasts have stopped growing.

4) How the operation is done matters a lot. The breasts have to be shaped INTERNALLY, without relying on skin tension, so you get a result that will last.

Breast Reduction in a 15-year-old

+3

I do quite a few breast reductions on teeenagers. My only requirement is that your bra size has not changed in the last year. If your breasts are still growing when you have the procedure done, you may need a second reduction a few years later.

Shreveport Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction for Teenager

+2

It sounds like you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

It sounds like you have done your homework and understand the potential risk and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

I would suggest an in-person consultation with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Breast Reduction for 15-year-old

+2

Congenitally large breasts are problematic for so many girls. Not withstanding all the problems with neck, shoulder and back pain are the psychological issues that are more important. Clearly at your height and weight your breasts are much too large for your body. And this has everything to do with your genes not your size. So, yes I would strongly recommend breast reduction even before you are 18.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Teenage breast reduction surgery

+2

It is not unusual to see a young girl that would benefit from a breast reduction. There are several important issues. Breast growth should be stable for the past year. If the breasts are still increasing in size then it is possible that they can continue to grow following a breast reduction. There is always the possibility that you would not be able to breast feed following a breast reduction. You should consider your options and discuss this with your parents and together with a good plastic surgeon the correct chocie can be made.

Breast reduction in a 15 year old

+2

IF you have reached a stable weight and growth curve, then this may be an option for you. At your age, you may have a higher likelihood of recurrent hypertrophy and may need another reduction. Also consider that this may effect your ability to nurse if and when you have children.

Breast reduction at 16

+2

If you are no longer growing in height, and are regularly menstruating and your breasts are no longer growing, then seeking a breast reduction consult sounds like a good idea for you. 

Breast reduction for a 15-year-old

+2

In Plastic Surgery we always weigh patient benefits VS. patient risk. As a result we often wait until our patients are old enough and legally mature when they understand and accept the potential risks of the procedures they are asking for.

Breast Reduction on teenagers is not rare. Some people are uncomfortable with it because they do not fully understand the huge encumbrance and psychological toll that large breast take on all women but especially on young women who are in the uncomfortable teen years. Most plastic surgeons fully understand this situation and are supportive of performing the operation as long as you and your parents understand its potential complications.

Among the usual but rarely seen complications of bleeding, infection, ugly scarring, persistent asymmetry seen with breast reduction, must be the consideration that, depending on the breast reduction technique used, you MAY have difficulty breast feeding when you begin having babies. Another rarely seen condition is Virginal Breast Hypertrophy. Here even after the breasts are surgically made smaller - they could grow again and may require more surgery.

In MY opinion, you SHOULD meet with several plastic surgeons (along with your mother) and see what they have to say. Pick several who work with your insurance company IF your parents' policy has breast reduction benefits. After meeting with them, pick the one you feel most comfortable with. You will do GREAT.

Good Luck.

Breast reduction for teenagers

+2

Breast reduction is a fantastic procedure starting at 13 to 14 years of age. It is remarkable how breast reduction can help to alleviate the pain in the neck and shoulders as long as the pain isn't being caused by something else such as arthritis. The procedure can be done as an outpatient and it's very well tolerated. Being 15, you may need a repeat procedure later on in life if your breasts continue to grow. But for now, a reduction seems warrented in you. Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.DrSchreiberPlasticSurgery.com

Breast reduction may be and appropriate procedure

+2

If you are fifteen and have very large breasts, breast reduction may be an appropriate procedure. It's important to be sure expectations are realistic and you have an understanding of the commitment needed for the healing process. Make sure that you understand the nature of your surgery, the recovery process, and that you feel comfortable and emotionally ready to make these changes to your body.