Should I Get a Breast Reduction? I'm 5'2, 150 Lbs. and Wear a 32H Bra. (photo)

I am 25 years old and am considering a breast reduction. As the question states, I'm 5'2 and weigh 150 lbs. I wear a size 32H bra. My back hurts quite a bit but I have never been to a doctor. I have skin discoloration under my breasts as well. I have not contacted my insurance company yet as I have not made a decision. I would like to hear some professional opinions first. Thank you!

Breast reduction?

+1

Your breasts are asymmetrical and ptotic (droopy). If you don't mind the inverted 'T' scar you will be very happy with the improvement in size, symmetry and shape that a reduction can give you. It's certainly worth a consult with a Plastic Surgeon.

Considering a Breast Reduction

+1
  • It appears from your photo that you have large breasts, and you may also have back pain related to your large breast size.  It is quite likely that you would benefit from having a breast reduction.
  • I definitely recommend meeting with a plastic surgeon to find out more about what the operation entails, what the recovery period is like, and what the most common risks associated with the operation are.
  • Additionally, notes, letters, and photos would have to be submitted to insurance to seek approval.
  • Best of luck to you!

Good Candidate for Breast Reduction Surgery?

+1

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs and description you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery.
Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin  this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall. By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to form their activities of daily living and exercise.
Timing of the operation will depend on the patient's life circumstances. In general, it is best to do this procedure ( like all other elective body contouring the stages,  when patients have reached their long-term stable weights.  In doing so, improve the safety of the procedure and minimizes the need for further surgery ( in the event of weight gain/loss after the breast reduction procedure).
The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.  Prepare to be persistent when dealing with insurance companies and the authorization process.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastReduction.htm

Should you have a breast reduction?

+1

It really depends on you and your motivations.  If you wish to breast feed fully and that was your priority in life, then you should wait until you are done having children.  If your back is killing you to where you quality of life is affected, then you have to choose improving that at the risk of diminishing your ability to breast feed.  On top of that you will have to accept the scars that come with the procedure and the risk for poor scarring.  By your description, you certainly would qualify for most insurance program but only you can decide if you should have one.

Back pain can be helped by a breast reduction

+1

Hi Jane,

I think you are a great candidate for a breast reduction. Breast reduction surgery will decrease the weight of your breasts - in this way it will help with your back pain.

Breast reduction surgery also improves the shape of the breasts by

• elevating the position of the nipple
  • narrowing the breast
  • improving the projection of the breast (even though the overall volume is less)
  • puts the breast back on the chest where mother nature intended it to be

Good luck with it all. I hope this answers your question.

Australia Plastic Surgeon