Where Will a Breast Reduction of 500g Leave Me? I'm a DD-DDD Now.

Hello, I have recently been approved by my insurance company for a breast reduction, but 500g have to be removed. I am 5'2 and currently a 34 full and heavy DD, maybe pushing a DDD (though I dont want to admit it). I have scoliosis and work on my feet, I find myself having to wear two bras at times and even still, I suffer from pretty severe back pain. My question is, where would a removal of 500g most likely put me?

Breast reduction

+2

Cup sizes are extremely difficult to predict precisely because they are a somewhat inexact form of measurement from the start. In an average sized woman, one can estimate that there is approximately 250 g per cup size.  As the base diameter of a given breast enlarges and as he chest circumference increases, generally speaking, the number of grams increases per cup size. It is unfortunate that insurance companies still, often, require a specific volume to warrant coverage. The goal of breast reduction surgery should be to make you significantly smaller so that there is a fighting chance to have functional improvement, and at the same time, to create an aesthetically pleasing breast that fits the individual patients surrounding torso. Therefore, I can't really give you an accurate estimate on your final cup size. You should discuss this with your Doctor.

Breast Size after Breast Reduction?

+1

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Congratulations also that your insurance company has approved the procedure.  Make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

Unfortunately, there is no direct correlation between the amount of tissue removed and the ultimate cup size that a patient will wear after breast reduction surgery.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it is very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” etc. means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

In my practice, I suggest patients undergo enough of a breast reduction to help alleviate their symptoms while retaining “proportionality” with the remainder of their torso.

Predicting Bra Size after Breast Reduction is NOT Possible

+1

Hi there-

There is no way that anyone could accurately or responsibly predict your bra size after breast reduction for you. 

If your goal is to maximize the chances that you are safe and happy, your best bet is to choose your surgeon very carefully (based on education, training, experience, talent, and outcomes) and follow all instructions very carefully.

If you are still worried about whether or not the operation planned will achieve your goals for appearance of pain reduction, please contact your surgeon for another discussion.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS