Should I consider a second breast reduction? I had one at 19. I am now 60.

When I hit menopause at 50, my breasts started growing again and I went from a 34D to a 36H bra. Lately, I have pain which radiates from my shoulders down my arms. My mind says I should consider another reduction but I worry about 2 things - firstly, scarring on top of previous scarring and secondly, will they just continue to grow again? Any advice would be appreciated

Breast reduction again?

+1

From your posting, it is something you could certainly consider.  Start with a  local plastic surgeon and go from there.  You probably had the anchor technique when younger.  The only theoretical concern would be preserving your nipple... can it be done or will you need a nipple graft?  But it can definitely help you so find a local doctor to guide you through this.

Breast reduction

+1
I think that having a second breast reduction may be a good idea as well. The scaring should be exactly the same. I do not believe if you take off enough tissue they will go that much. Hope this helps. 

Norman M. Rowe, MD

Breast Reduction

+1
Dear breastgalore, yes having a second breast reduction seems to be a good idea. Your breast is very large and you already started to feel pain from the heavy weight. Having a  reduction 41 years ago shouldn't cause any additional scarring problems or survival of the breast remaining tissue. Just like any other patient you should go under a pre-op evaluation in order to get a cardiovascular qualification.  Many women older than you have this kind of procedures without any complication. Just go with a plastic surgeon with credentials. If you have any other question I will be more than happy to help you. I hope you can get what you are looking for.

Kelvin Eusebio, Domincan Rep. Plastic Surgeon

Kelvin Eusebio, MD

+1
Assuming you are in good health, generally a good candidate for elective breast surgery, and have enough symptoms associated with the recurrent breast hypertrophy, you may be an excellent candidate for repeat breast reduction surgery. As you likely know, this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  It is likely that the procedure can be done excising previous breast reduction scars;  poor scarring will not necessarily result.  No one can predict whether your breasts will “grow again”;  it is most likely, but you will enjoy the results of the breast reduction surgery for many years at least.

Second breast reduction

+1
If your breasts have increased in size again and you are having symptoms I would consider having another reduction.  However, I would check with your doctor to make sure your hormone levels are appropriate if they started growing after menopause. Please make sure you are up to date with your mammograms as well!  Pain radiating down your arms may not be due to the large breasts but you will have to work with your doctor/surgeon on that issue.  As far as scarring, there are scars on the skin and scars underneath the skin in the breast tissue itself.  The scars on the skin generally can be similar or the same as the scars from the first surgery.  Usually we remove the old scars by cutting them out during any secondary surgery.  The scars on the inside are most important for blood supply to the nipple-areola.  It is most helpful to have a copy of the operative report from your first surgery if possible. If not, you and your surgeon will have to discuss the risk of redoing the surgery but generally most patients that have a second breast reduction recover and heal well.  It is relatively common for women who have had breast reductions and/or lifts to need secondary surgeries for re-lifting.  It is also important to make sure you continue to wear a supportive bra after any breast reduction/lift to offset the force of gravity!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Second breat reduction.

+1
You should consider another surgery, as have many physical and psychological discomfort for the size of your breasts. if you have weight problems also recommend you lose weight.There are many people that do two surgeries in the same area, the previous scar is removed. and as to whether it will grow again this is not predictable.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD