Breast Reduction for an 18 Year Old?

Hi. I'm 17 years old, 5'7", and 145 lbs. I have D breasts and would like Bs. I want them lifted, a redection, and a small implant to make them look nice. What do you recommend?

Breast Reduction Candidate?

+1

Based on your description you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery.

As  you think  about  breast reduction surgery make sure you do your homework and understand the potential risks and complications associated with  the procedure.  Unsatisfactory scarring is  one of the potential complications. Make sure you also understands that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).
Sometimes breast  reduction surgery is covered through health insurance. The best way to obtain insurance coverage for breast reduction surgery involves some “hoops” to jump through. The more documentation you have (for example, from your primary care doctor, physical therapist, chiropractor etc.) the better when it comes to obtaining insurance “authorization” for the procedure.
This documentation and letter/pictures from your plastic surgeon will help you obtain authorization.

Make sure you're  working with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Breast reduction in a 17 years old with a "D" cup

+1

A breast reductions can be performed at age 17 in the right circumstances. However at a D you are not really that large (though you provided no photos). Your breasts may also continue to grow over the next few years (you didn't mention if they have changed size in the last few years). This would be an important factor in determining the timing of the procedure.

A "B" cup is disproportionately small. Is this what you want? Would you be satisfied with the trade-off - the scars on your breasts?

These and other issues are important areas to explore with your plastic surgeon.

Good candidate for reduction

+1

having a huge breast at this age is a problem functional and cosmetic wise ,

if you gonna have a reduction  it will include lifting at the same time and will reshape your breasts also into a more acceptable one and definitely you will not need an implant 

Saudi Arabia Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction in a 17 year old

+1

If you are a good candidate for a breast reduciton , and that would have to be determined by an exam, you would have a lfit and would not need an implant.

Insurance coverage of breast reduction in an 18 year old

+1

It sounds as if you are an excellent candidate for a breast reduction. The problem will be convincing your insurance company. First discuss this with your primary care giver or pediatrician. He/She will have to review your medical history and will be the first step in determining whether the insurance will approve the procedure. In some instances they may require a course of physical therapy. They will be your best advocate in being approved for the procedure. BCBS uses a scale called the schnur scale to evaluate candidates for this procedure. Each insurance company uses different criteria and a predetermination of benefits letter with photographic documentation will likely be required to ascertain your level of coverage.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/warning.php?link=chicago-photo-gallery/breast-reduction

Breast reduction with an implant

+1

There are a couple key things for you to understand about the procedure at your age.  1.  You may not be able to breast feed in the future.  2.  Your breasts may continue to grow and you may need a repeat procedure.  

Depending on your breast shape you may be a candidate for a short-scar breast reduction which will give you a nice shape without the need for an implant.  I would not recommend doing both procedures at the same time.  You may be happy with the reduction/lift and not need the added potential risks and maintenance of a breast implant.

Danbury Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction in 17 year old

+1

Regarding: "Breast Reduction for an 18 Year Old?
Hi. I'm 17 years old, 5'7", and 145 lbs. I have D breasts and would like Bs. I want them lifted, a redection, and a small implant to make them look nice. What do you recommend
?"

A Breast Reduction is a reconstructive Plastic Surgery procedure done to relieve the many symptoms of large breasts (such as rashes, back and neck pains etc). Although it does result in smaller, perkier breasts it REMOVES breast volume.

A Breast Lift is a Cosmetic Surgery procedure in which SOME breast volume may be used but the goal of the procedure is LIFTING the breasts, NOT reducing their size.

Finally, a Breast Augmentation is the "opposite" of a Breast Reduction. Here we add volume and weight to the breast with implants to make them larger.

It makes NO SENSE to reduce your breasts AND then a breast implant to each one of them.

IF you have a lot of symptoms caused BY the size of your breasts, your insurance policy MAY pay toward your having a Breast Reduction. It will NOT pay for ANY cosmetic Surgery.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Breast Reduction for an 18 Year Old

+1

You need in person evaluations where the boarded surgeon can discuss your options in detail. You did not post any photos so again see a doctor in person. From MIAMI DR. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Reduction followed by implant?

+1

1) a reduction at the age of 18 is reasonable for some patients.  If you have symptoms of intertrigo, back/neck pain, shoulder pain, etc., then a breast reduction will help with these symptoms.  

2) There is a caveat or note of caution though.  Because you are fairly young and undergoing a reduction, it is likely that you may require another reduction in the future.  This possible need for a future repeat reduction is not a reason to avoid surgery, but just a warning that this may not be a permanent fix for you.  You are genetically well endowed and your remaining breast tissue will continue to grow as you continue to age and will also undergo changes that every woman goes through with pregnancy and aging.

3)  An implant after a reduction...  I disagree with this strategy.  If you have ptotic breasts, without as much tissue, then you need a mastopexy or lift more than a reduction.  If you have enough breast tissue to require a reduction, then you can undergo a slightly smaller reduction and not require the implant.  

Englewood Plastic Surgeon