Breast Reduction and Lift Recovery Time

I'm seriously considering breast reduction and lift. I'm 18 and very active (I'll be playing college soccer starting this August.) I'm a 34DDD and I want to be at most a 34C. I can't afford to get too out of shape if I get this surgery, will it take me a long time to recover?

Breast Reduction Recovery Time?

+3

You may find that you will be able to return to lower body workouts one week after surgery. Strenuous upper body exercise and/or lifting me require 4 to 6 weeks of recovery.

Breast Reduction and Lift Recovery Time

+3

Every person heals a bit differently, but for the most part you can expect to get back to exercising within 4 weeks. You really want to make sure you have enough time to heal from this surgery, the worst thing you can do is rush a recovery. You need a good amount of time to make sure you heal before you put your body through strenuous activities. Here are some things you can expect after surgery: first few days you must wear a bandage or special surgical bra. For the first two weeks you will experience swelling and bruising, and at about 1-2 weeks your stitches can be removed. You can return to work or school within one to two weeks depending on your own personal recovery. Now, for the next few months after surgery you should be very gentle with your movements and activities, as your breasts are still very tender. I would recommend no exercise at least 4 weeks, but please talk to your doctor, he will monitor you and let you know how you are doing and when you are ready to start training. Full recovery take anywhere from 6mo-1yr. The best advice I can give you is to talk to a few board certified plastic surgeons doctors for advice, let them know what you need so that he/she may set some reasonable expectations for the both of you. Good luck!

Kenneth Bermudez, MD

Breast Reduction Recovery

+3

Breast reduction is one of the most satisfying of all plastic surgery procedures for the patient  when it is done skillfully. Breast reduction recovery usually takes 4 weeks.

In younger patients who are fit physically and physiologically it can take less time.

For a few days after surgery you may need some pain med to control minimal pain.

You can go back to normal exercising in six weeks.

Your surgeon can help you have a shorter recovery if smaller incisions are used to perform the procedure.

Hope this was helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Recovery Time after Breast Reduction & Lift Varies from Patient to Patient

+2

Breast reduction is a commonly performed operation amongst female athletes. Many of these patients not only report alleviation of symptoms, but improved athletic performance as well following breast reduction surgery.
It’s important to remember that recovery varies from patient to patient. We generally recommend taking one week off from school and work following this procedure, but many patients are able to return sooner. Strenuous activity such as athletics should be avoided for four to six weeks following surgery.
Patients are required to wear a specialized support bra for three weeks and a sports bra for an additional three months. It’s important to remember that complete wound healing takes at least a year.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast Reduction Recovery Time

+2

A breast reduction or a breast lift has a recovery time of between three to six weeks. During the first three weeks it is necessary to protect the area from undue stress so as to allow it to fully heal. During this time we would recommend that the elbow not be lifted above the shoulder height and you do not lift more than five pounds. After approximately a week or 10 days, you could use a recumbent bike to exercise and increase your heart rate. Hopefully this will help to keep you in a reasonably good cardio condition. Full recovery would not be for at least six weeks when you could not worry about any type of injury to your breasts. It would be best to refrain from any type of soccer practice where you could be hit in the chest for six weeks.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Recovery Time After Breast Reduction

+2

Every surgeon has their own postoperative protocol regarding exercise in the post-op period so it is important that you understand fully your surgeon's instructions.   In general, I make patient's understand that healing takes place over many weeks.   The knitting together fibers of your new breast will not be at full strength until 8 weeks post-op.   As a result, I make my patients restrict all upper body activity for at least 4 weeks.   I allow them to begin increasing lower body activity around 3 weeks post-op, but they must protect their healing breasts with good mammary support and they must follow careful incision care.   The exercise level can increase gradually to include gentle upper body motion between 4 to 8 weeks.   At 8 weeks, I allow patients to pursue their activities full strength with good mammary support.   I feel patient's should give themselves the best opportunity for ideal healing if they are going to undergo a breast reduction.   It is my experience that patients are generally thrilled with the athletic freedom breast reductions achieve. 

Carlin Vickery, MD

Breast Reduction Recovery

+2

Recovery after any procedure varies among individuals.  A good news is that breast reduction recovery is not too long and it is not very painful.  Most of my patients take pain medication about 3-5 days.  You should take about a week off from work or school.  Please do not perform any heavy activities or exercises for 3-4 weeks.

Sugene Kim, MD, FACS

4-6 Weeks

+2

Assuming an uncomplicated recovery, it generally takes about 4 weeks before you can resume aerobic excercise and 6 weeks before unrestricted activity following breast reduction surgery.

George Sanders, MD

Breast Reduction for An Athlete

+2

You may benefit tremendously, particularly when your breast size is currently interfering with your activities.

Plan on a 4-6 week period of low impact fitness and lower body resistance training. It is very important to give the incisions (internal and external) adequate time to heal. I advise a full 6 weeks before getting back to running, jumping, big arm motions.  Being careful to avoid healing complications is well worth it, though a challenge for athletes who are used to pushing limits.  Mother Nature still has her schedule!

The tool or technique (laser, liposuction, etc.) does not change healing time!

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

You can do it and not miss a day.

+2

I have done Laser Assisted Breast Reductions on professional atheletes who have not missed a day of working out in some fashion.  Lower body, eliptical, treadmill, etc. WGS

Grant Stevens, MD