Breast Reduction -- 17 days post op -- incision question

I am 17 days post op on my breast reduction. When taping yesterday, I noticed that the incision around the right breast is now oval and not round like the one on the left. It has been round up until yesterday. Now it just looks stretched and oval & very achy and sore to move or touch. Everything looks okay to me, no sign of infection, just the shape change in the incision area. I'm not too pleased with how it looks...and I'm hoping it's just starting to fall and that's causing the distortion. Any ideas??

Breast reduction at 17 days

+1
I think that you have to give it time to heal before getting too worried. It may take 3-4 months or even longer for the breasts to settle.  If concerned, discuss it with your surgeon.

Early asymmetry of the areola after a breast reduction

+1
These early changes in the shape of the areola are not uncommon and are most commonly due to asymmetric swelling.  It is much too early to be concerned with this now.   Given time the shape will change.  

+1
Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. At this point, it is too early to evaluate the long-term outcome of the procedure performed. I would suggest that you continue to exercise patience and evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed several months from now. In the meantime, continue to follow up closely with your plastic surgeon who will be in the best position to advise/reassure you. Best wishes.

Patience and time...

+1
Hi FutureDC.  From what you describe, I think you are having normal postoperative changes.  I suggest you stop worrying and discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Early healing with breast reduction scars and nipple shape?

+1
Be patient FutureDC and talk to your surgeon.  The breasts after a reduction will often swell and so any evaluation of final shape and nipple position is best made at least 3-6months after the surgery.  The first determination after the swelling has resolved is whether the pain and discomfort is gone? 

Jeffrey Ditesheim, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon