Candidate For Breast Reduction? 14 Yrs Old W/ 32E.

Hi, My name is Hannah. I'm 14 & have 32- 34E boobs & growing rapidly, 120lbs. I have intensive neck, back, & chest pain. I have been sexually harassed,& continually stressed with getting new bras. I need help. I have been considering breast reduction. Me & my parents have talked ab it but my mom thinks that no surgeon with help & just tell me to wait till later. I understand all of the risk & concerns & I know more than likely would have another one later on but I am dedicated. Please help me.

Virginal Mammary Hypertrophy

+2

It sounds as if you have true VIRGINAL MAMMARY HYPERTROPHY.  You will benefit greatly from a breast reduction procedure, but you need to know the following facts:

• the scars are permanent
  • you may need to have the procedure repeated if your breasts continue to grow
  • your ability to breast feed may be compromised depending on which technique is necessary to reduce your breasts
  • you may lose sensation the the nipple/areola
  • you need a complete work up with an endocrinologist before the procedure

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction 14 years old

+1

Hi Hannah,

it sounds like you are experiencing juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, your breasts are too large for your frame causing you  both physical and psychological distress. 

It sounds like you have done your homework and understand the potential risk and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if your breasts were to grow in size again). 

I would suggest that you continue to communicate your concerns with your parents and seek consultation with a well trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think you should be considered an excellent candidate for the procedure.

+1

You need to be seen by an ENDOCRINOLOGIST to see if you have any pituitary issues. And see your Peds for virginal hypertrophy for clearances. If you have clearances than a boarded Plastic Surgeon would do a breast reduction. 

Breast Reduction on teenager

+1

Dear Hannah,

I have performed many breast reductions on teens between 13 and 18 with excellent results.  It is possible that if you are still growing you may need further reduction when you get older, but most enjoy stable results.  I had one patient who was 13 and who still looks good 16 years and 3 kids later!  Of course it is important to be mature and have agreement and support of your parents.  I think a lot of people underestimate the psychological benefits as well as the physical benefits of reducing excessively large breasts, especially in your age group.  Most techniques will likely leave you with nipple sensation and the ability to breast feed later as well. Seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon and get more information!

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Candidate For Breast Reduction? 14 Yrs Old W/ 32E

+1

Hannah,  I agree that you may be a candidate for breast reduction.  Personally, I feel that age is not the final determinant on whether to proceed with surgery, but instead, your overall health, your level of maturity, your understanding of the procedure itself, including the potential complications, and your parents' input.  I like to see younger patients in a stable bra-size for about a year before proceeding with any type of breast surgery, but there are certainly exceptions.  Good luck!!!

Gregory Swank, MD
Hickory Plastic Surgeon

Young patient needs breast reduction

+1

HI,

Despite your age it does sound as if you need a breast reduction. If you go to a board certified plastic surgeon with your parents and explain your situation, he will examine you and determine whether you are a good candidate for the surgery. The only tricky thing to remember is that your breasts may still be growing and that even after a reduction you can experience more breast growth. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Daniel Medalie, MD

Daniel A. Medalie, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

+1

Hi Hannah!  You sound like a very mature and responsible young girl.  From your description, you sound like you would be a good candidate for a breast reduction.  As long as your parents are in agreement, and you understand the risks and benefits, I dont know why a Plastic Surgeon would not be willing to do your surgery.  Good Luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon