Breast Reduction for a 14 Year Old?

I have a 14 yr. old daughter who wears a 42 bra. She has Asperger's Syndrome, and suffers from tactile defensiveness. She has angry, red stretch marks and is constantly the recipient of unwanted attention due to her size.

My husband, myself and my daughter all want to have something done soon. What is your feeling regarding her additional issues and a Breast reduction? Thank you.

Breast Reduction for Teens

+2

Dear Callalilly

I have a number of teenage patients who have had breast reduction. For a teen it is an extremely embarrassing situation emotionally. Your daughter's problem is complicated by the Asperger's Syndrome.

If she is still growing I would not recommend a breast reduction but a possibly a breast liposuction to at least remove some volume. This of course would depend on the individual patient and her anatomy etc. Removing 500 - 700 cc of tissue can help alleviate the symptoms and if she is still growing in breast size not put her through all the incisions and healing time needed only to be back in the OR several years later.

Speak to your pediatrician and plastic surgeon and ask one to call the other to discuss your daughter's case.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction in a 14 year old with Aspergers

+2

This is clearly a complex matter and should be handled with a multidisciplinary team involving her therapists, pediatrician, plastic surgeon, and possibly and endocrinologist.

In regards to timing, she seems very young and she may not have completed her growth. In this regard, if it is performed too early, she need to have the procedure performed again due to ongoing growth. Clearly, it would be preferable to have her growth curve plateau and then contemplate the surgery.

The red stretch marks can be treated with retin-a or laser but will do little to alleviate the size of the breasts

Parent's choice for breast reduction in teens, but commonly done

+2

Large breasts can be not only a psychological problem but a functional problem, teens included. However, operations on teenagers must be done with careful attention paid to their expectations of the operation. If those expectations are realistic, the operation will succeed. If they see the operation as a means of solving social problems, it will not and might even be a disaster.

As a parent, the responsibility for choosing an elective operation for a teenager lies with you. Take your time to make sure this is something your child will truly benefit from. Based on your description, it might be wise to get the opinion of a psychologist or psychiatrist.

Web reference: http://www.atlantacenterforplasticsurgery.com

Breast Reduction for Teenager

+1

It sounds like you are dealing with juvenile breast hypertrophy along with the physical and psychosocial consequences of this diagnosis. In other words, the breasts are too large for the frame causing  both physical and psychological distress.

It sounds like you have done your homework and understand the potential risk and consultations associated with breast reduction surgery. You also understand that further surgery may be necessary in the future (for example if the breasts were to grow in size again).

On the other hand, breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform and I think that for the right teenager (enough symptoms) it may be an excellent option (regardless of the age).

I would suggest an in-person consultation with a well-trained/experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. Best wishes.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Breast reduction at 14

+1

FIrst, she is only 14 and I would wait until she is of adult height and weight and stops growing.  Then a discussion with her, you and her doctor should be undertaken.

Breast reduction for young patients

+1

Patients today have many great options in breast reduction surgery. Young patients should understand that their breasts will continue to grow and change at least until their early 20s. For this reason and to make sure that the patient understands the seriousness of the surgery, it is not recommended to perform a breast reduction surgery before the age of 18. Your best bet is to work with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has a great deal of experience in breast reduction and will be able to assess you and help determine what procedure will help you meet your needs and help you obtain a long-lasting results. Remember that you are quite young and the decisions that you make regarding surgery at this age you will live with for the rest of your life.

Do breast reduction now.

+1

Hi.

I normally advise against elective surgery in teenagers. But this is different. I have done breast reduction in this setting, with great improvement in girl's well being. Of course, she will probably need a revision when she is 20, as the breasts continue to change. But that's all right.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.