I Am Considering Breast Reconstruction Using a Spectrum Implant/expander- What Result Can I Expect?

I had a tissue-sparing mastectomy in April. I had chemo but no radiation. I am a 38B. Is a Spectrum implant/expander reliable and produce a positive result most of the time? I think I'd choose a smooth shell (since I read the articles about lymphoma)filled with saline.

Breast Reconstruction

+1

The skill of the surgeon in creating the pocket is more important than the brand of tissue expander.  The expander just protects the pocket size and stretches the skin so the implant can be better accommodated. Trust your surgeon to choose the expander which is best for your situation.

Danville Plastic Surgeon

How to choose the best implant for reconstruction

+1

The Spectrum implant is a saline implant that also functions as a tissue expander, so there is a port attached to it (which you would see as a bump under the skin below the breast) where saline is injected every few weeks. Once the desired size is achieved the port is removed, typically under local anesthesia. This has the advantage of only one relatively short operation under anesthesia. With a tissue sparing mastectomy, even better would be to put the expander in at the time of the mastectomy, and often this can be direct-to-implant so there is no need for expansion. This is optimally done with an acellular dermal matrix graft such as Alloderm for an internal bra. (This also applies for delayed reconstruction in most cases.) The Spectrum is a good implant but often silicone will feel more natural. As far as the risk of lymphoma with textured implants, this is extremely rare, but I prefer the smooth implants when possible because they feel more natural.

Richard Baxter, MD