Slipped Implants 5 Years After Breast Reconstruction

My implants slipped..I am not sure if the internal stitches tore? Now for a number of years the implant is definately slouched down in the pocket. Both my arms from armpit to elbow have lots loose stretched skin I am seriously thinking about having them removed and not replaced. I know at this point the soft tissue under the arms cannot be fixed. When I use my upper body I get severe back and neck pain,tight chest as well and my arms weak

Malposition of breast implants can be helped.

+3

A combination of surgical techniques can reposition your implants internally.  Lifting the breasts and removing lateral chest wall skin are effective to help relieve the discomfort of slipped implants.  You should not be punished if you had  breast cancer by not having a good reconstruction.  We have procedures that can help as your body evolves.

Alloderm to support bottomed out implants with reconstruction

+2

The use of Alloderm, which is a tissue matrix that forms a sort of living internal bra, has become commonplace in reconstruction with implants. Your implants were placed before this became a well-known procedure but it can be used now for correction.

Richard Baxter, MD

Bottoming out of the implants 5 years after breast implantation.

+2

It sounds from the symptoms that you described that your implants originally were placed under the muscles and because of over zealous  dissection, or tissue distension your implants are now bottoming out and causing those symptoms.

You most likely have saline implants.See a qualified plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic  surgery and let him see it and fix it appropriately.

Erel Laufer, MD

Implant Position after Breast Reconstruction

+2

Your implants need to be carefully examined by a board-certified plastic surgeon. If the implant pocket is not the correct size or in the correct position, the implant will move out of position.  Also, the pain you describe warrants an examination to make sure there is no other cause, particularly given your history of breast cancer or other breast abnormality.

Jeff Scott, MD
Everett Plastic Surgeon

Multiple issues including displaced implants years after breast reconstruction

+2

It sounds like you have a lot of issues that are not directly or specifically related to your breast reconstruction. My suggestion would be to first see a reputable board certified plastic surgeon who can assess both the changes in your reconstructed breasts as well as the tissue laxity elsewhere.

It should be possibly to effectively correct the displacment of the implants. Regarding the excess skin of your arms, an arm lift (brachioplasty) may effectively and pleasingly improve the situation.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Bottomed out implants

+1

From your description and without a formal exam it is hard to say what is going on , but it sound like your describing bottoming out.  Soemtimes the fold can be resuspended or even reinforced with alloderm. This may help your problem. Of course if you do not want the implants they can be removed as well.

Implant Malposition / Bottoming Out

+1

What you are describing is likely a bottoming out of an implant. This likely occured because of an absence of support to the implant. This absence could be due to many reasons which include but are not limited to: poor mastectomy skin quality and violation of the inframammary fold during the mastectomy, and the technique used to place the tissue expander implant. But don't worry, this problem can definitively be corrected/improved. I have found that utilizing Alloderm or Strattice as an internal "bra" helps to definitively correct this problem. Please visit with an American Society of Plastic Surgeons member surgeon to learn more about your options.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS