Flap You Recommend for Breast Reconstruction

For breast reconstruction, do you recommend a latissimus flap over my implant? Which is best?

Flap for breast reconstrsction

+1

The best flap for you really depends upon your anatomy., the amount of tissue you need, and a thorough discusion of the different choices. Utimately it is your choice.

Many good flaps

+1

I am going ton assume that this patient is going to have irradiation treatment and an implant reconstruction. If this is the case then latissimus flap is a good choice. There are many excellent flaps. Their use depends on the unique requirements and individual desires of breast reconstruction patients.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Breast reconsrtuction

+1

You have options for breast reconstruction.

It will depend on what was the original treatment, any radiation, what is left of tissue and skin.

Then you are presented with options in breast reconstruction from breast implants to flaps like latismus dorsi, TRAM , Free TRAM, DEEP flap etc

Understand all your options, the pros and cons of each one and then you decide.

Flap for breast reconstruction

+1

You ask an impossible question to personally answer for you. We have NO history, photos, info on you from the medical/surgery point of view. The best way is to see 3 boarded plastic surgeon in your area. Regards from MIAMI

Several options for breast reconstruction exist

+1

There is no best option for breast reconstruction. Each patient and situation is different and should be treated as such. Factors to be taken into account include the need for radiation therapy, previous surgeries, the body habitus of the patient and the experience of the surgeon.

Generally speaking, when a latissimus flap is used, an expander followed by replacement with an implant at a later date, is preferred. This is due to the lack of bulk that exists with the latissimus flap alone. An implant will provided the added bulk the latissimus flap is lacking.

Prior to proceeding with any breast reconstruction, make sure you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. He/ she will be able to examine you, discuss what procedure will work best for your situation and explain the risks and benefits associated with a particular procedure.

Your plastic surgeon can also answer any questions you may have regarding your surgery and postoperative recovery.

Good luck.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Options for Breast Reconstruction

+1

It is very difficult to answer your question without knowledge of your breast cancer history, your breast cancer treatment(i.e. need for radiation therapy), and of course a physicial exam. For a generic introduction, there are two major categories for breast cancer reconstruction:
(1) implant-based and
(2) using your own tissue (autologous).

There are pro’s and con’s to each reconstructive modality. No one reconstruction is the best. Both implants-based and tissue-only autologous reconstruction can provide outstanding results. It is important to tailor a reconstructive plan that meets the goal of each individual patient and also respects the breast cancer treatment plan.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Flap for breast reconstruction

+1

The vast majority of breast reconstruction patients do not need a flap, and choose implant reconstruction alone.  This of course is a wide and complex topic, and you need to discuss your options with your surgeon.  Adding a flap (unless necessary) will make a much bigger operation out of the process.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Breast reconstruction options and flaps

+1

There are no best solutions that can be singled out on a unversal basis. Different conditions warrant or suggest different flaps acccording to the circumstances at hand. It is wise for you to discuss your options with a plastic surgeon that may be recommended by your general surgeon.

Breast Reconstruction with Latissimus over Breast Implant

+1

There are so many breast reconstruction choices. But I must admit I'm a huge fan of the latissimus over an expander followed by placement of an implant later on. I do no think that a one-stage reconstruction, meaning placing a latissimus flap and a permanent implant at the first stage is the best option. The reason is that the tissue will settle. This will need correction later on. So why not do the expander first and the permanent implant later?

So while I love the latissimus as a reconstructive option, I don't think it should be combined with a permanent implant initially. And read the article below to understand that there is no functional loss with the use of the latissimus.

Christopher L. Hess, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Breast reconstruction depends on anatomy, breast size and expectations

+1

There are many options for breast reconstruction. The main thing is that if you want implant reconstruction or your own tissue. There may be some restriction based on history of radiation treatment, amount of the breast tissue and also you expectations for the implant reconsruction.

My preferred technique is DIEP flap and you can search for more information under DIEP flap.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon