Can I Have Breast Reconstruction Revision and Get a Larger Size?

I chose a full B cup, but doctor wanted bigger. Now that I am 3 years out from chemo, I think I do want to go to full C/D. I have a different fuller body (5'9 and 160 lbs) and think the fuller breasts would look better.

Possible to go larger implant for breast Reconstruction

+1

Yes under most circumstances getting a larger implant is not an issue, provided you have not radiation therapy.

Without radiation, a larger reconstructive size is usually possible

+1

If you have not had radiation and have good soft tissue cover (that is, not thinned out), you can go larger.  Even after radiation, an increase is sometimes possible. Speak to your surgeon.

Congratulations on being so healthy!

Mark B. Constantian, MD, FACS
Nashua Plastic Surgeon

Is bigger better?

+1

You can revise your reconstruction but you have to be careful of what the skin will tolerate. If the skin is thin already , especially under the nipple then it may thin out to much and not survive . Adjustment of a reconstruction my require a tissue expander to enlarge the space to accept the larger implant. Sometimes you can just open the pocket up and it will accept a larger implant. Understanding the limitations and the options for what you want is key. It is important  being 3 years out that if you still have  concern that you have a talk with your surgeon and make a plan. It is not the first time someone has asked for this type of revision and you need closure to move on.

Good Luck.

Paul Albear, MD

Breast reconstruction revision

+1

It is certainbly possible to place a larger impalnt in a previously reconstructed breast, but an exam would be key to determine if this is possible in one or two stages.

Implant Size Change After Breast Reconstruction

+1

It is possible to undergo a size change after breast reconstruction.  Good skin elasticity and adequate soft tissue coverage are important.  Radiation may make volume increase very difficult.  It is worth while to discuss this with your plastic surgeon.

Elizabeth S. Harris, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

You can go bigger if you have enough skin to cover the implant

+1

You can go back to your plastic surgeon and discuss your options. Your revision should be covered by your insurance.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon