Breast Numbness 10 Months Post-Op

I had a submuscular saline ~390cc breast aug. 10 months ago and still have no sensation in approx. 80% of my breasts. First, I want to know if there is any hope for feeling to return, and why this possibly happened to me. Also, I am undecided as to whether I will get the implants removed or exchanged for much smaller ones (I am not comfortable with the size). Total removal in theory would relieve all tension on nerves, while a smaller implant might help avoid sag. Help is much appreciated.

Numbness of nipple

+1

No one knows exactly why some individuals lose nipple sensation after breast augmentation. It may very well be as a result of stretching like you mention. Placing smaller implants probably will not improve the sensation.

Loss of sensation following breast implant surgery

+1

The loss of sensation for this long is concerning and return of sensation if possible but not likely. Sometimes this may take as long as 2 years to fully assess. Removing implants does not mean your sensation will return although it is a possibility.

Numbness is not unusual after breast augmentation

+1

Stretching of the nerves is quite often the cause of numbness after breast augmentation.  If there is stretching of the nerves usually  there will be a decrease in sensation but not complete numbness.  The way you can tell is that even though it feels numb you can tell when the area is being touched, this is usually called paresthesia.  Often times this type of numbness gets better.

Dev Wali, MD
Claremont Plastic Surgeon

Breast numbness

+1
Breast numbness can be the result of stretched nerves, but at 390 cc it is very unlikely that the implant size is the problem. Thus i would caution you against implant exchange if the sole purpose of this is to relieve the numbness. Sincerely, Martin Jugenburg, MD

Martin Jugenburg, MD