Can Breast Muscles Be Tightened to Create More Cleavage?

I have 300cc saline, high profile. I'm 5" 103 lbs, I feel like my breast are seperated and under my arms. what can I do?

Breast Implants - Implants Have Shifted Too Far Laterally

+2

Hi maxinemax in Allentown, PA,

It can be hard to get exactly the look you want but I generally prefer moderate plus implants (neither the high profile, which often leave too wide a gap between the breasts nor the low/moderate profile, which are too flat and extend too far into the axillas).  In your case, though, you may now need textured implants (so that they will be less likely to shift) and/or have the pockets sewn off laterally to, similarly, prevent a lateral shift.

You should, of course, talk to your plastic surgeon and/or any other surgeons who can examine you in person.

But I suspect that switching to a different profile implant with, possibly, some adjustment of the exact dimensions of the pocket(s) will produce the result you're looking for.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Breast implants under arms and not in position? Breast Augmentation.

+2

Generally when I see laterally shifted implants it means the patient had an axillary incision for placement.  Although this is an accepted incision, all too often the path of surgery becomes the lateral path of travel for implants.  Larger implants and more medial dissection will help.  At times lateral pockets can be sealed and implants shifted medially but this is a big job.  Lastly, implants can be removed for 3 months while the pocket seals and then replaced.  Some patients have a wider sternal area and a great cleavage is not possible.   Do you have photos?  That would help.  Possibly you will be just fine with time.  My Best.

George Commons, MD
Palo Alto Plastic Surgeon

Improving Breast Cleavage

+2

Hello and thank you for the question.

There are several factors which contribute to intrinsic cleavage following a breast augmentation. These include implant selection, soft-tissue plane (submuscular versus subglandular), width of the breast bone (sternum), as well as the native position of the breast parenchyma on the chest wall. Taking this into consideration, revisional surgery can be performed to improve the cleavage in select patients. Without having the luxury of examining your first-hand or seeing photographs, it is difficult to make that determination. I recommend you followup with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area for an evaluation and opinion.Kindest Regards,

Glenn Vallecillos, M.D., F.A.C.S. 

Glenn Vallecillos, MD

More Cleavage in Breast Augmentation

+1

How much cleavage you can get in a breast augmentation is really determined by your body habitus, your base diameter, and the amount of breast tissue you have and more importantly the framework of your breasts. Often, it is a misconception that putting in bigger implants gives you more cleavage because if anything this may actually splay your implants further apart. It is almost an opposite type of result. The amount of cleavage you have is usually determined by your base diameter and your chest wall shape than by the type of implant that you use. Obviously, one has to place them carefully and not over dissect laterally or you get excess lateral splaying of the breasts.

Rod J. Rohrich, MD

Breast implant location

+1

The placement of an implant below the muscle can lead to a lateral position of the implant in time. I find that the larger the implant is, the greater the tendency for the muscle to push the implant down and out. Muscle tightening will actually make the problem worse. In your scenario it will either require a larger submuscular pocket  being made if possible, or the repositioning of the implants above the muscle.

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

You may need to have your muscle released more in the midline to gain greater cleavage. It doesn't help that you have high profile implants as these implants in the size you have are fairly narrow. Switching to a wider profile would help as well as the muscle dissection.

David E. Kim, MD

Cleavage may Vary

+1

There is no procedure on the chest muscles in plastic surgery to create tight cleavage. High profile implants have a narrower diameter than other types of implants.

• By changing to a moderate profile you will add a little to the breast width giving you better cleavage. If your breasts are under your arm it is because your implants have pushed out the side tissues.

Several years ago, I changed my technique of pocket dissection so as NO pocket dissection is done on the sides. In order to correct your problem, you will need a pocket closure operation.

Ivan Thomas, MD (retired)

Cleavage after Breast Augmentation

+1

Follow up with your Plastic Surgeon. Breast Augmentation carries a national surgical revision rate of 25%. You may need a smaller capsule or a breast lift or a switch to submuscular space. It may be due to your pre-operative anatomy.

Good luck,

Leo Lapuerta Jr FACS

Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Leo Lapuerta, MD

Cleavage is achievable. It's the pocket and implant style that has to be spot-on.

+1

When considering the final implant size for my patient, I always consider the chest wall configuration and the patient's desire for cleavage.  Implants take up space on the chest.  If the pockets come pretty close together in the center, you get great cleavage.  Too close, and you can get a weird look in the cleavage area called synmastia.  We choose the correct implant diameter to come close enough for cleavage without that complication.  I get the patients' consent in advance to try several sizes before choosing the proper implant during the surgery.  I am not one of those surgeons who believes you can tell the exact size that is best for you ahead of time.  500's will look different on you than they will on your girlfriend.  In cases where the pockets are too far apart (like you) a little pocket work and different implant will probably fix it.  Maybe even the same implant.  We tend to suture pockets, not muscles in surgery.

Ritu Chopra, MD