If One Breast Measure 11.7 and the Other Breast Measures 11.9. Should You Use Two Different Sizes?

I will be using silicone.

Breast implant sizing issues

+3

The width of the breast upright with the arms down is the key measurement for deciding the diameter of the implant that will fit it (and also determines the height for round implants). This width should be the same for both implants. The forward or projection volume of the implant could vary depending on overall needs for volume (which is hard to measure or determine) but the width needs to be the same for both sides. 2 mm is within the measured variation of a caliper measurement and is therefore not significant. Base the diameter of the implant on 11.8 cm and use the same for both sides as far as fitting the width. 

Denver Plastic Surgeon

2MM Size Difference-Should I Use Different Size Implants?

+2

Thanks for your question.  Breast width is just one of the dimensions plastic surgeons use to determine the volume of the breast.  Other critical measurements are the height of the breast and the projection of the breast from the chest wall.  By combining these measurements and adding in the findings from your exam such as nipple position, position on the chest wall, irregularities of the ribs, etc., your plastic surgeon can determine if you need two different size implants to maximize your breast shape and symmetry.  2mm difference in size is very small and usually by itself does not require using different size implants.  Please consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who can best address your concerns.  Good Luck.

Herluf G. Lund, Jr, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Sizing

+1

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look. Hope this helps.

Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Minimal difference

+1

We are talking about a 2mm difference between the two breasts, assuming the measurements are completely accurate.  This difference is really not noticeable, and I would wager that you were not even aware there was a difference until it was pointed out to you.  So, unless there is a concomitant significant volume difference, I would recommend the same implant be used on both sides.

Robert Stroup, Jr., MD, FACS
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

Sizing Breast Implants When Breast Width is Not the Same

+1

From the information that you have provided it is likely that you do not need to use two different breast implants.  

There is additional information needed to make a final decision.  For example are you breasts otherwise equal in volume, shape, projection?  If so, then you probably don't need different size breast implants.  

A thorough evaluation and discussion with your board certified plastic surgeon will help you to come to an informed answer to your question,

Fredrick A. Valauri, MD

Breast Augmentation - If One Breast Measure 11.7 and the Other Breast Measures 11.9. Should You Use Two Different Sizes?

+1

While I do not hesitate to use two different sized implants when appropriate, it's more a question of overall breast size than any specific measurement.  Are your breasts noticeably different sizes?  Most women's are, so achieving perfect symmetry is neither practical nor likely.  If they are different enough in size then different sized implants should be considered; though, with the understanding that even if the volume is the same, having a much larger implant in one side than the other risks changing the overall shape in addition to the size.  My advice:  talk to your PS about this, and don't focus too much on these measurements.  But for 0.2 cm difference in diameter - all other things being equal - I would probably advise using the same size implants.  For general info on how to choose a breast implant, please see my video referenced below.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Breast asymmetry

+1

I think you should stick with the same size implant, unless the breast are very different. Everyone has asymmery and it is impossible to match them exactly.

Breast asymmetry , implants and augmentation

+1

this is a very small difference.  other factors include chest shape and size breast volume differences

and saline vs silicone.   all of these factors need to be considered together

Different Breast Implants For Asymmetry

+1

Using two different implants can accomplish improved symmetry in patients with significant breast differences in a number of characteristics such as breast volume, breast width or chest wall differences.  Based on the sole measurement you provided (breast widths of 11.7cm / 11.9cm), assuming the other characterisitcs are relatively symmetric, I would NOT use different implant sizes.  If, however, other asymmetries exist then I would certainly consider two different size implants to improve symmetry.  Best Wishes!!!!!

Louis DeLuca, MD
Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

When to use different sized implants

+1

Breasts will always be a little assymmetric no matter what you do.  They are not the same before and won't be the same after.  So if you can't get them exactly symmetrical, then in general, it is best to use similar sized implants so that you don't make them more uneven, which is possible.  The only times I recommend using different sized implants are if the difference befores surgery is greater than a cup size.  By using a larger implant in the smaller breast you can get them closer in size but the still won't be exactly the same.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon