I'm Getting a Breast Mass Removed, is It Still Okay to Get Breast Implants?

I'm getting a breast mass removed Thursday and I've always wanted breast implants , would this make me not able to get implants because of getting a mass removed?

Mass

+1

A prudent way of proceeding would be to biopsy the mass prior to the augmentation so that you know what you are dealing with here. The presence of a benign breast mass is not a contraindication to surgery

Breast Implants after mass removal from the breast

+1

As long as the mass that is removed is not a malignant cancer and there is no major breast deformity after the removal I do not see any problem with placing breast implants after you heal from your procedure.

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implants after Breast Mass Removal

+1

Unless the breast mass is of concern, it should not prevent you from having breast implants. You can discuss this with a Board Certified plastic surgeon.

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Breast mass and Augmentation

+1

You can still have a breast augmentation.  If the mass is large, you may need a larger implant on this side to keep the breasts even.  Good luck with your upcoming surgery!  K. Roxanne Grawe, MD Columbus Plastic Surgeon

K. Roxanne Grawe, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Can removal of a breast lump affect breast implants in the future

+1

There should no reason that removal of a benign breast lump should effect the placement of breast implants in the future. I would recommend that you allow plenty of time to heal between the 2 procedures though, possibly 3-6 months at least. This is something you should discuss with the plastic surgeon who you chose to take care of you.

Dr. Edwards

Michael C. Edwards, MD, FACS

Breast mass biopsy and implants?

+1

I think it is best to figure out what the mass in youyr breast is. If it is benign, it is probably OK to have breast augmentation after you are healed.

Breast Mass/Augmentation

+1

What is important is to know what the pathology of the breast mass is...benign or malignant.  An oncologic breast surgeon may need to pursue more aggressive treatments if it is malignant.  But just having a mass removed is not a contraindication to breast augmentation surgery.   Things to consider for augmentation is the amount of remaining breast tissue you have for coverage of the implant.  Placement under the muscle can help hide the implant better and can make mammography easier to read.  Occasionaly, if the mass removed leaves a significant deformity, other reconstructive techniques may be required to give the best result.  These can include simple fat transfer, using dermal tissue materials, or even specific reconstructive breast flaps.  Please discuss these with your plastic surgeon. Thanks for the question.       

Steven Svehlak, MD

Getting Breast Augmentation After Biopsy

+1

Having a mass removed does not preclude you from having augmentation. Speak with the doctor managing your care on this and get their feedback. I've operated on many patients though that have had cysts, biopsies etc...you should be fine. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Breast Augmentation after Excision of Breast Mass?

+1

There should be no contraindication to breast augmentation surgery after excision of a benign breast mass. You should however be aware that breast implants do interfere with mammography ( less so in the sub muscular position that in the sub glandular position).

More precise advice would necessitate an in person consultation.