Breast Liposuction VS Breast Reduction?

I am a 40G. I have major neck/back/shoulder issues and I am looking into breast reduction surgery. My referral was not approved as my BMI is too high. I am 5'7" and weigh 230 lbs. The PS told me that I could have liposuction instead of reduction surgery. I do not think lipo is the way to go. Who are the best candidates for lipo rather than surgery? Thank you for your help

Breast Liposuction VS Breast Reduction?

+1

In general, you should be within an acceptable BMI range before you have surgery such as this.  That is for both physical reasons (you'll have a better result if your breasts are sculpted at this point rather than when your BMI is too high) and those of safety.  Surgery has risks but for patients with high BMIs the risks are greater.  Either way, it does not sound like liposuction of your breasts is the best way to go.  Nor is liposuction a weight loss procedure.  So I agree with your concerns but I'd suggest that you try on your own to get closer to an appropriate BMI and then reconsider the surgery if indicated.

I hope that this helps and good luck,

Dr. E

Breast Reduction through Liposuctioning?

+1

Based on your description you may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery; it will be in your best interest to drop weight first.

The majority of patients who present for breast reduction surgery are not good candidates for  breast reduction by liposuctioning. The rare good candidate requires a  relatively small reduction, has excellent overlying skin elasticity, and does not present with significant breast ptosis (sagging).  As you can imagine, most patients who present for breast reduction surgery do not display these characteristics on physical examination.

Be careful about your selection of plastic surgeon and technique utilized;  revisionary breast surgery can be costly in many ways.

Breast Reduction Liposuction

+1

Breast Reduction Liposuction has advantages over classical breast reduction because of the minimal scarring.  It is only appropriate when there's good skin tone in the presence of good nipple position

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Lipo for breast reduction

+1

Liposuction of the breasts is a reasonable alternative to standard breast reduction in some cases. It works best in breasts that are very large and full, but don't sag too badly.  Without seeking photos, it is impossible to tell in your case, but lipo of the breasts has the advantages of minimal scars and an easier recovery.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Standard breast reduction is the way to go

+1
Based on your body dimensions, you would be better off undergoing a breast reduction with incisions vs. a breast reduction with liposuction. The best candidates for liposuction of the breasts are patients who do not have a lot of sagging or significantly large breasts.

Gregory Park, MD

Liposuction for Breast Reduction

+1

For most patients, liposuction is not a good choice for breast reduction. The ideal patient would have fatty, not glandular, breast tissue with tight skin and desiring a small reduction with minimal scars. 

With a 40G breast, the results of liposuction alone may result in very droopy breasts. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS
Ohio Plastic Surgeon

Breast reduction lipo candidates

+1

If you only need a one size reduction and are not too saggy, lipo works. Or I have had some patients where I did a reduction and they gained weight and the breasts got bigger -- lipo works well. You need a standard reduction.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Breast reduction by liposuction

+1

Liposuction as a breast reduction technique is not usually a very effective method.  Occasonally a small reduction can be obtained with a good result but only if there is no significant ptosis (sagginess) and good skin tone.  It is not likely that someone with a G cup would be a reasonable candidate for liposuction for breast reduction.  I don't think it is possible to predict the amount of fat versus breast tissue present in a breast preoperatively and breast tissue does not liposuction effectively so even if your skin has good tone liposuction may not work.  I would suggest a second opionion prior to agreeing to liposuction a reduction technique.  Make sure the surgeon is certified by the american board of plastic surgery and not just "board certified" by any board.

Jeffrey Thaxton, MD
Charleston Plastic Surgeon