Breast Lifting + Reduction and Future Breastfeeding?

Iam 23 yrs old girl ,never been married or Pregnant,due to healthy 10 kg loss boobs have became saggy and unattractive without a bra !!i havei counseled 7 doctors for breast lifting and reduction 2 of them warned of no Future breastfeeding and 2 told me theres 20 % risk i Wont and the rest said there will be less milk production .i have grade 3 ptosis and wide boobs ,all recomended invertedTmastopexy Why so various answers,is it the doctor experience or geniousity that can save my future Children ?

When you are young is when you want to look your best, if you want a breast lift have it now

+2

It seems sad to me that women are told to wait until after they have their children to have breast surgery. If your breast are too big have a breast reduction, if they are too saggy have a breast lift, if they are too small have a breast augmentation. Most women who have a well done reduction, or breast lift or breast augmentation will be able to breast feed their children. It does make a difference as to what kind of reduction or lift you have. Make sure you are seeing a Board Certified Plastic surgeon with experience in these techniques and ask to see photos. 

Ability to breastfeed after a lift

+2

There is no sure way to determine whether or not you will be able to breastfeed after surgery.  There is only a small risk that you will not be able to successfully breastfeed.  Keep in mind that there are women who are unable to breastfeed regardless if they've had surgery on their breasts too.

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift and Inability to Breast Feed?

+2

Breast lift should not cause an inability to breast feed in most circumstances.  Even a full breast lift involves skin removal and not glandular repartitioning per se.  Certainly, breast duct and gland do not have to be violated.  I have not found nipple areola sensitivity decreases to be an issue in my practice.

Breast lift and breast feeding

+2

Most patients that undergo breast lifts and even breast reductions are able to breast feed after surgery. The reason that you can not get identical answers about this from different plastic surgeons is because there are so many ways to complete a breast lift or reduction and very little good scientific literature that can really answer the question accurately as a result. What you need to know is that if you decide to have the surgery before you are finished having children, you most likely will be able to breast feed. But there are never any guarantees and you must be willing to take that risk if you want the surgery. 

William T. Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

+2

Since all the consultants seem to have suggested mastopexy (lift) and not reduction, it seems to me that the overall cautions are a bit pessimistic. The lift operation does little to the actual breast tissue, but trims redrapes the breast skin. There probably is a small risk of losing some sensation, which many surgeons believe is the common pathway toward inability to nurse, that is an uncommon occurrence, way under 20%. 

Surgeons and patients are always comparing benefits and risks, often without the kind of data that would be nice to have. Thanks for your question, best wishes. 

Breast lifting + reduction and future breastfeeding?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question! Breast procedures such as the breast lift and breast reduction certainly result in a more shapely, perky, and fuller appearance of your breasts along with raising of the nipple-areolar complex to an appropriate position. Since there is an incision made around the areola along with some rearrangement of tissue of the breast, there is a risk, albeit very small, of change in sensation to the area. However, in terms of breastfeeding, studies have shown that there is no increased risk of changing your ability to do so after breast procedures. Not every woman can breastfeed...thus if you can now, your ability to do so will not change after such procedures. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Ultimate Breast Reduction for lift without the vertical scar

+1

You have stated that all plastic surgeons that you consulted with recommened the inverted T mastopexy.  This technique was developed in 1956 by Wise and I personally have not used this technique in 20 years.  There is a new alternative technique that does not require the ugly vertical scars.  It is possible to reshape your breasts, reposition them higher and increase cleavage.  This does not require a pedicule as with the Wise pattern, breast feeding and areola sensitivity are maintained.  The other advantage of this technique is that the weight of the breast is transferred to the underlying muscle, which produces better long term stability and pain relief.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Breast feeding after breast surgery

+1

Dear Amoon,

Let me try to make sense of it for you.  The breast is basically made up of glandular tissue and fatty tissue.  The glandular tissue is what would produce the milk.  These glandular tissues connect to ducts that all lead to the nipple.  The skin, of course, covers the whole structure.    The ability for you to breast feed after surgery depends on what happens to theses glands and what happens to their connection to the nipple.  In the case or a reduction, some of the glandular tissue must be removed.  The amount of milk production will depend on the amount of glandular tissue that will remain and still be in communication with the nipple.  Different breast reduction techniques will affect this anatomy differently.  In the case of breast lift, the same is true.  However, some surgeons rely only on the skin to perform the lift.  That is, they excise skin only without disturbing any of the glandular tissue.  This, of course, should not affect your ability to breast feed in the future.  However, I would strongly caution you against undergoing this type of surgery.  This type of lift will result in a lift that doesn't last, and a lift that will produce poor scarring.  It is well established that a lift performed by using the internal anatomy of the breast will lead to a longer lasting lift and superior incisions.

Another point for you to consider is whether an inverted T mastopexy is required or can the lift be performed without the need for the long horizontal incision.  Although you may feel that the horizontal incision is the least problematic because it is underneath the breast, the opposite is true,  The horizontal incision usually is the most problematic incision. It often heals with poor scarring, especially at its ends.  Although not all mastopexies can be performed without the horizontal, I would strongly urge you to seek a plastic surgeon that is well versed in this vertical technique.

Good Luck,

Ary Krau MD FACS

AryKrauMDFACS

Ary Krau, MD, FACS

Breast lift/reduction and breast feeding

+1

If you go to ten different doctors, you may get ten different opinions based on their training and experience.  That doesn't necessarily mean that one is right and another is wrong - just differing perspectives.  At any rate, there are several ways to do breast lift/reductions.  Most all of them have one thing in common - the do NOT require the removal of the nipple/areola.  The nipple/areola stays attached to the underlying breast tissue which means that all of your breast feeding apparatus should be intact following the surgery and you should be able to breast feed.  Of course, no one can predict what your breasts might look like after a pregnancy.  Your breasts may change with pregnancy, weight gain/loss, etc.  You will just have to cross that bridge when you get to it.

Edwin C. Pound, III, MD

Reduction

+1

When the breast reduction is performed with a pedicle, your breasts will produce milk after a breast reduction. How much no one can predict

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS