Breast Lift, Implant? (photo)

I'm 22, 4'11, 128 lbs with a deflated D cup. Prepregnancy weight was 115lbs with a full B cup. I think my breast tissue was destroyed from pregnancy & engorgement. My breasts hang and feel like mostly skin. My confidence is shot & my husband has never seen me naked since I had our daughter. What kind of breast lift would be best? Are implants for a C cup a possibility? Can I make my areolas back to the small size they were prepregnancy & have them not point down? Help me Docs! :(

Implants and lift can help you achieve your goals

+2

We use gentler terms than "breast tissue destroyed from pregnancy", but you are 100% accurate that pregnancy and breast feeding often leads to atrophy of the gland. The good news is you got a healthy beautiful daughter out of it which is a pretty fair deal, right? You should feel proud and confident in yourself and your body for such a great accomplishment. While I'm certain you had very attractive breasts before your pregnancy,  I doubt your breast are the only reason your husband was attracted to you, and he is probably still attracted to you (and your breasts) and would love to see you naked with or without surgery. While surgery can improve confidence, I encourage you to realize you are as beautiful (or more) now than you were before pregnancy.

To answer your questions: The type of breast lift that would be best for you depends on several factors you will discuss with your plastic surgeon such as the quality of your skin, the size you would like to be, and what scars you will accept. Yes, implants for a C cup are a possibility. Yes, you can have your areolas reduced and not point down with a breast lift.

Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Lift Concerns…

+2

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Although I cannot give you precise advice without direct examination and a full communication of your goals, I think it is likely that you will benefit most from breast lifting involving incisions around the areola ( decreasing the size of the areola) and vertically oriented incisions.  This operation will serve to improve the position of the breasts and of the nipple/areola on the chest wall as well as remove much of the redundant skin present.

Most patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations and the right time of their lives psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do and the field of plastic surgery.

In regards to breast implant size, I would suggest that you do not base your communication on achieving a specific cup size;  cup sizes can be somewhat arbitrary, depending on who makes the bra.  In my practice, I prefer the use of goal pictures to help improve communication between patient and surgeon.

When the time is right, consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons; ask to see lots of examples of their work.

I hope this ( and the attached link) helps.

Breast Enhancement Surgery

+1
For patient like you who are quite droopy I typically do a lift with an implant to give you the full perky look you want

Ryan Neinstein, MD, FRCSC

A breast lift will reduce the size of your areola and lift the nipple and the breast to a more perky appearance

+1

Thank you for your question and photographs. A breast lift will restore the nipple areola to a higher position, lift the breast and reduce the areola. Depending on the size of breasts that you want you may also choose to have a breast augmentation with implants. You do appear to have adequate breast tissue so that you might be happy with a breast lift alone. My suggestion would be that you have a breast lift and wait 6 months to see if you feel you need breast implants. The various options for breast lifting are outlined in the article described in the link below.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast Lift After Pregnancy

+1

Thank you for sharing your photos.

It seems that you could benefit the most from a lollipop lift where the areola size is reduced and the overall breast's shape is lifted and improved.

As for considering implants, I believe that it is a personal preference whether you should do it or not.

Nonetheless, implants alone will neither decrease the size of the areolae nor will they provide with a lift but rather add weight to your breasts and make them more droopy.

It is normal that your breasts become a little droopy after pregnancy and I am sure that having a healthy daughter and a supportive husband are enough reasons to gain your confidence back. After all, I believe that you are proud of being a mother and a wife.

That being said, please remember that commendable results require an exceptionally skilled surgeon to perform the surgery and settling for anything less than that increases the chances of additional corrective surgeries dramatically.
I hope this helps and please feel free to check the website below.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Breast lifts and implants

+1

I am surprised at some of the responses I see here. Most of the problems you are concerned with are skin and tissue problems and are not helped by an implant. Implants are just pillow volume and the minimum size increase with a lowest profile that is properly fit and positioned is one cup size larger than you are now. This is not compatible with the desire to be a cup size smaller. 

The general characteristics of your breast look fairly good and should be nicely improved with a properly done lift procedure. This doesn't actually "tighten" your skin but makes it appear less stretched and more balanced. This could also reduce the areolar size and would involve a lollipop incision around the areola and down to the crease level. A peri-areolar reduction or even a so-called peri-areolar lift will not correct the degree of breast sag (ptosis) that is present and a vertical incision is strongly advised. Think of the resulting scar as the trade-off for the lift/reshaping of the breast. 

Scott L. Replogle, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

The vertical breast lift with implants can restore your prepregnancy shape.

+1

There is plenty of good news.  Your breast shape can be improved with a vertical breast lift.  This will also reduce the size of your areolae.  Implants can restore upper pole fullness (they can be small and in fact your breasts can be the same size, but now you will have the fullness up top, where you want it).  This should greately improved your satsifaction with your breasts and maybe get them back to being an asset.  It will make your torso look longer (check patient A.L. on my website), which every woman likes, whether they are 5 feet tall or 6 feet.  Our patients surveys show huge improvements in self-esteem and quality of life after surgery.  But you need a plastic surgeon who is an expert in a vertical breast lift (other types just don't get the job done as well) and is experienced in the combined implant/lift procedure.  You should look at before and after photos provided by your surgeon so you are happy with what you see.  I've attached a link to this part of my website in case you wish to read more.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and implant

+1

you would benefit form having both a lift and implant. The width of the areola can be reduced with a peri areolar mastopexy. This provides minimal lifting and the scar is around the areola.

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Implant and purse-string breast lift

+1

Thank you for the question and photos.  A purse-string mastopexy should really be called a purse-string areolaplasty since it really reshapes the areola more than the breast.  I think a breast augmentation with an implant size that meets your size goals and a purse-string areolaplasty would provide a very nice result.  I encourage you to seek consultation with well trained board certified plastic surgeon that can show you good before and after photos.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Breast Lift after Pregnancy

+1

Base on your photos, it appears that you could benefit from a breast lift. There are different types of incisions used for lifts; circumareolar, circumvertical, and an anchor type incision. It's best undergo a proper evaluation with your local plastic surgeon to determine which approach would suit your needs the best. If you currently wear a D-cup bra and would like to wear a C-cup after surgery, then you will not require an implant to become smaller. A very small reduction can be done at the time of your lift to achieve a C-cup. The lift will also reduce the size of the areolae and reposition them higher on your breast mound.

Thanks for your question and photos. Best of Luck!

Gregory Park, MD