Should I Wait Until After Pregnancy to Get a Breast Lift?

okay so i want to be a model but i also want to have a baby someday so should i wait til after pregnancy to get a breast lift ? i definitely want to get the surgery because i hate how my chest looks.

Pregnancy and breast lift

+4

Your question raises two competing issues. If you are a model and think that your career would be enhanced by undergoing a breast lift, then by all means, go ahead. Just understand that pregnancy, with the resultant weight gain and breast enlargement, may affect the result.

Breast Lift and Pregnancy?

+1

It is likely,  given your concerns,  that you will benefit from breast lifting surgery plus or minus breast augmentation. One of the major  and considerations is timing of the surgery  in relation to your life circumstances.

Some patients prefer to wait until they have completed pregnancies and/or are in stable long-term relationships.

Most patients undergoing this procedure will accept scarring as long as their overall goals in regards to size, shape, contour and symmetry are met.   

Only you will know  based on your own specific life circumstances and goals etc. when that time will be right.  At that point consider consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Lift or baby

+1

There is no question if you have a baby your breasts will enlarge from the pregnancy and cause your breasts to droop more.So the choice is simple.If you are planning a baby soon I would wait.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift can be done before childbirth.

+1

Weight gain, weight loss and nursing can cause breasts to sag.  If you are planning having kids in the near future, then you should wait.  If you are having kids sometime in the future and really want the surgery, go for it.  Talk to your doctor about revisions after giving birth, if needed.

Breast lift can be performed before or after pregnancy; it is a personal decision

+1

Dear 763153anon,

You state that you are determined to have a breast lift because you do not like how they look presently; this should be your primary reason for want this procedure. In addition you should make sure that you are clear about the pros and cons of doing (or not doing) this procedure as it relates to your modeling career.  

Pregnancy may change the appearance of your breasts regardless of whether or not a breast lift has been done previously. Although some women have very little change from the effects of pregnancy and breast feeding, you should not count on this; assume that they will change. Note that a breast lift can be repeated after pregnancy if you have had one previously. 

The question then becomes how long in the future do you plan to become pregnant? Whatever that time period is (assuming that the breasts will change with pregnancy), you may feel it is worthwhile to do the breast lift now, or you may feel that it is better to wait. The bottom line is that you must decide if the timing works for you. Good luck

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC 

Lawrence Tong, MD

Breast lift and pregnancy

+1

I fyou are unhappy with the way your breasts look, but are considering having children soon, then I would hold off on the surgery until after that time.

+1

Thanks for the question. As reading the expert answers you can see that the issue is one of timing. I follow the standard that if there will be a pregnancy within 2 years than wait. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Breast Lifts Before or After Pregnancy

+1

The reason plastic surgeons perform breast lifts is to improve the shape of the breast. The overall goal is for you to be happy with your breasts. There are a few reasons why we delay this gratification.

The most common reason to delay a breast lift is pregnancy. Since pregnancy can stretch the breasts, or change the breasts' volume, it is also a common reason for breast lifts. If you are planning to get pregnant soon, you may want to do that before getting the lift to reduce the chance of needing another lift. If you are pregnant, you will want to wait until you stop producing milk for 3 to 6 months before contemplating surgery.

The other common reason to delay breast lifts is that, depending on the type of lift, there is a chance that a breast lift could reduce your ability to breast feed.

If you are not planning to get pregnant for years, you will certainly have the time before pregnancy to enjoy the results. Below is a link to web page and a video on breast lifts.

Joseph Mele, MD
Walnut Creek Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift before pregnancy or before? It depends...

+1

Echoing Dr. Beraka's answer, unless you are planning on having a baby in the near future, then it is certainly not unreasonable to proceed with a breast lift. Many women have surgery on their breasts, whether augmentation, lifts or reductions, prior to child bearing. So if you are not going to have a baby soon, and you truly desire the surgery, then you should proceed. 

William F. DeLuca Jr, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

With pregnancy in sight, delay a breast lift

+1

The issue of when to have a breast lift depends on timing of starting your family. If pregnancy is a goal in the next few years, delay your breast lift. You mention working as a model, and if the goal is a serious one you may wish to discuss your thoughts with your agent to make certain breast scars, shape and size will not impact your career.

peterejohnsonmd