Should I Get a Breast Lift Or? (photo)

Basically I just want to know if I should get a breast lift or if there is any possible way to get only implants and get the results I'm looking for. I really don't want the big vertical scar ): I'm 5'4" and roughly 130 lbs. and just recently had my third child. I'm currently a C cup and I'm wanting a DD cup and of course I don't want them to be saggy anymore!

Needing a full lift

+2

From the photos, an implant alone will give you a Snoopy nose deformity and will not be attractive.  You have too much sagging to get by without a lift.  If you are trying to go to a DD also, this is too much stretching to do safely at the same time as a lift which is a tightening procedure.  Staging these in your case would be wise in my opinion.  You can do the implants first for the volume and then in the off chance that you are happy enough with the look, you can skip or delay the lift.

Should I get a lift?

+1
You would benefit the most from a lift - scars usually fade with time, but shape is much more important!  Your "wish" photo shows nipples that are right over the center of the implant and quite a bit higher than the fold.  Your breasts will not look that way without a lift, and they will likely never look exactly like the photos you chose since you have a fair amount of your own breast tissue to start with (which will give you a more natural and softer look)

Dr. Michelle Spring

Michelle Spring, MD

Fear not the vertical scar of a breast lift.

+1

Based on your photos, you will need a lift regardless of whether or not you have implants.  A lift will decrease the diameter of your areola and will raise your areolas and will firm up your breasts. The vertical scar almost always settles down and is well worth the improvement in shape.

If you were my patient, this is what I would strongly recommend:

First of all, have a vertical breast lift.  Your upper poles will be fuller and your areolas will be smaller and these changes will actually make your breasts look larger.  My guess is that you would be very pleased with the look that a lift would give you.

If you later decided you really wanted to go larger, a modest sized implant could be inserted through your existing scars. 

I strongly advise you not to go with a large implant and a Benelli (periareolar) lift.  This will flatten the area around your areola, likely result and nasty scars because of the tension, and leave you with a weird shape.

In breast and body contouring, shape comes first and the scars a very distant second.

Lisa L. Sowder, MD

If you need a lift, you need a lift:)

+1

An implant alone will not truly "lift" your breast, and it will stretch your areolae (dark circles around the nipples) even further.  From your photos, it appears that a lift would be ideal for you along with implants.  I would do both procedures at the same time.  I am a little concerned about your "after" goal photo---that woman's breasts are dramatically different from yours, and I don't think you will reach that particular goal.  I think you could reach that size, but not that shape (not long-term anyway).  Please look at some before/after photos of women who have had breast lifts, as these would more likely represent your "after" photos.

Carmen Kavali, MD

You will need a breast lift

+1

It seems that you will need a lift to achieve the look you show in the photo.  Breast drooping is evaluated from where the nipple lies in relation to the fold under the breast.  The goal photos show a nipple well above the fold, and your nipples seem to be below the fold.  An augmentation with even a reasonably large implant will likely require at least some degree of lift for you

Adam David Lowenstein, MD, FACS
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift with or withour implants

+1

Based on the information and photos provided, the breast lift (mastopexy) along with a breast augmentation would probably be recommended to achieve the result you say you are looking for. I suggest you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to review and discuss surgical options. If you like the way your breasts look in clothing with a bra, you may get enough projection from the mastopexy alone. If you truly want to increase the size of your breasts then you would need an augmentation as well.

Richard A. D’Amico, MD, FACS
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Lift

+1

If you are not looking for an increase in volume then you do not need implants. However,your breasts will not look like the desired photographs after surgery

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Augmentation mastopexy

+1

Augmentation mastopexy is designed to correct the two most common changes that occur in breast appearance following pregnancy: loss of breast volume, and stretching out of breast skin. While there are some moms who can get an acceptable cosmetic result from augmentation alone or from mastopexy alone, many moms have a combination of breast volume loss and skin excess that requires simultaneous augmentation and mastopexy (breast lift). I frequently perform this surgery in concert with an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck), and this combined breast and tummy rejuvenation surgery is sometimes referred to as a 'mommy makeover'.

Augmentation mastopexy is also commonly performed for major weight loss patients, including those who have had bariatric surgery including gastric banding and gastric bypass. Obesity followed by major weight loss usually produces breast changes that are very similar to those seen after successive pregnancies, and often the effect on breast skin is quite severe. Additionally, as a North Carolina breast implants surgeon, I regularly see patients with significant breast ptosis (the medical term for 'droopiness', pronounced TOE-sis) in young adulthood, without any history of pregnancy or major weight loss. Some breasts are just naturally droopy, and I have performed mastopexy and augmentation mastopexy for patients as young as 21 years.

This surgery is a potentially challenging one which requires thoughtful preoperative evaluation and planning, and careful attention to detail in the operating room. Many surgeons have traditionally performed breast augmentation and mastopexy surgery in stages, usually mastopexy first followed by augmentation at a later date. In the recent past more and more surgeons have adopted a non-staged, single surgery approach to augmentation and mastopexy, and that is what I propose for the vast majority of patients who I see in consultation that need both procedures. I believe that the results of simultaneous augmentation mastopexy are as good or better than a staged approach in most cases, and of course patients quite naturally prefer a single trip to the operating room if at all possible.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Combination Lift with Augmentation

+1

You need a lift with or without implants. If you want DD’s then understand they’re a lot harder to keep them up if you don’t do a lift at the same time.

Mel T. Ortega, MD

Breast Implants - to lift or not to lift?

+1

When seeking breast enlargement, no one wants to hear that they also need a breast lift.  However, in many cases, if the lift is not done, results can be very disappointing.   Based on the photos provided, you really need a lift if you are going to get breast implants.  You may even consider a lift alone and the results should look good.  However, I would strongly recommend against implants alone.   Find a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust and listen to what they recommend.

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon