If I Get a Second Breast Lift Will The Incisions Be The Same?

I had a breast lift a year ago after I lost about 60 pounds. Since then, I have continued to lose another 15 pounds or so and have been really leaning out. Once again, I am unhappy with my breasts and want another lift, possibly a small implant put in when i am done losing weight. I had a full breast lift, with the anchor scar. When I get it relifted, do they have to open the scar underneath the breast again or can it be done with a smaller second scar?

Revision anchor lift

+1

It is hard to tell what you need without photographs. Options for treatment depending on your presentation include revision of your prior lift using the existing scars, placement of a breast implant, and/or fat grafting. Your weight should stabilize prior to pursuing your revision. It's great that you are able to take off the excess weight! Please see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon when seeking revision, or better yet, see the surgeon who performed the breastlift.

Breast implant revision

+1

Thank you for the question and congratulations on your continued weight control.

Yes, revisionary  breast revision surgery will likely be performed through previous  incisions; this may be the time to revise the scars, if necessary, as well.

If revisionary surgery is decided upon (especially if implants are to be used) it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” or "fake looking" means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.
I use  intraoperative sizers and place the patient in the upright position to evaluate breast size. Use of these sizers also allow me to select the press implant profile (low, moderate, moderate plus, high-profile) that would most likely achieve the patient's goals. The patient's goal pictures are hanging on the wall, and allow for direct comparison.
I have found that this system is very helpful in improving the chances of achieving the patient's goals as consistently as possible.
By the way, the most common regret after this operation, is “I wish I was bigger”.

Breast Scarring

+1

Dear concerned patient, 

Great question! When you are loosing weight it is best to get to your target weight and stay there for a few months to let things stabilize.  At that point you can decide whether you need more fullness in the breasts, which will help with the decision to place an implant.  The decision regarding using your old scars to perform the surgery will be made by you and your surgeon but, generally one would use the prior surgical approach and avoid adding new scars. Hope this helps! 

Dean Johnston, MD FACS 

Dean L. Johnston, MD

Second or repeat breast lift

+1

I agree that if you had an anchor type breast lift the incision you currently have can be used. It is my opinion that the full anchor incision gives the best shape in most instances and offers the least revision rates. (there are certainly excellent results with certain shaped breasts using shorter scars with experienced surgeons)

Therefore, your secondary breast lift can be done through the same scars in all likelihood. good luck. 

Jay Burns, MD

Redo breast lift with implants

+1

If you had a previous breast lift using an anchor incision, certainly the old incisions can be used and revised during the revision.

Secondary breast lifts can be done through same incision

+1

If you have previously had a breast lift and for whatever reason need another one, this can usually be done through the same incision so that you will not incur additional scars.  There are several different techniques for breast lifting and these vary in regards to what is done "internally." So , even if you need a different type of breast lift now, the external incisions (and the resulting scars) will likely be the same.

Matthew Schulman, MD

Repeat breast lift will remove old scars and give new ones in the same location.

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss! Your plan is appropriate once your weight has stabilized and you are on a healthy healing diet. Your surgeon will remove the old scars and give you new ones in a higher, tighter, package, implants or not. Your surgeon will probably use all of the old scars, but not for sure--this will depend on your new anatomy and your old scars.

If you want implants, suggest that your surgeon first close all of the breast lift incisions (except for the 4cm length needed for breast implant placement), and THEN create your pocket and place your desired implants. This decreases the variability of results that so many surgeons mention, and some even require a second surgery (third for you) to avoid.

For examples of breast lifts plus implants, click on the link below. Best wishes!

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Secondary Breast Lift After Weight Loss

+1

Dear CT43,

A breast lift with or without implants is an excellent way to enhance the breasts after massive weight loss. In general, I would suggest waiting until your weight is stable and you have reached your goal weight before undergoing your lift.

In your situation, a secondary lift with or without implants can most likely be performed through your old incisions.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

Secondary Breast Lift Incisions

+1

Yes, in most cases, if you need a secondary breast lift, the incisions are made right through the previous incisions.  However, without pictures or seeing you in person, it is impossible to give you more specific advice.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Second breast lift, same incisions

+1

With progressive weight loss it is not uncommon to have further volume loss, and it may be possible to have an implant alone to restore the volume lost. If the skin envelope is still lax, the second lift can be done with the old inverted 'T' scar, though the need for the transverse scar will depend on the how the skin excess can be tailored.

peterejohnsonmd