Breast Lift After Weight Loss Insurance Coverage

I'm almost 18 years old, I lost a lost of weight weight, 80lbs in about 2 months. My weight gain was due to side effects of meds I was on for almost 2 years (Depakote and Zyprexa). At my biggest I was 210lbs and now I weigh 125lbs. I'm self conscious and embarrassed of my breasts; they look disgusting and saggy. Is there any way my insurance (BC/BS) would cover a breast lift?

Insurance and breast lift

+1

Cost is geography dependent. In Florida it runs $6000-8000. More important than price is safety and experience. Also, as an aside, breast lift, has never been a covered procedure with any insurance carrier unless it is to match a breast reconstruction for breast cancer.

Breast Lifting and Insurance Coverage?

+1

Congratulations on your significant weight loss.

Patients who have had successful weight loss to the degree that you have experienced,  often benefit from breast augmentation as well as breast lifting surgery.  Neither one of these procedures are typically covered by health insurance plans.

I would suggest in person consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience with patients who have had significant weight loss.

Breast lift insurance coverage after weight loss

+1
When bariatric surgery was a novelty, some carriers covered a variety of what would be considered cosmetic procedures after significant weight loss. However, now that lap banding and other procedures are much more common, they have cracked down. I know of no NY company that would pay for a lift even given that your weight gain was induced by medication prescribed for treatment of a medical condition. Best of luck!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Breast Lift after weight loss

+1

Unfortunately, breast lift is usually not covered by most insurance companies for any indication. This is not considered "medically necessary". Breast reduction may be covered but a certain amount of tissue has to be removed and specific symptoms such as back and neck pain must be present. Most patients that have lost weight only need a lift and sometimes an inplant to correct sagging.

John M. Pierce, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

No insurance coverage for breast lift

+1

I am sorry to inform you that a breast lift is not a covered service under any health insurance plan. This is an elective cosmetic procedure. By definition there are no functional limitations related to sagging breasts even after massive weight loss. If your breasts are excessively large a D cup or larger then a breast reduction may be covered if there are related symptoms and you fulfill the prerequisites of you health insurance plan.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift after weight loss insurance coverage

+1

As you can see the expert panel of posters, all (100%) agree that breast lifts are a non insurance covered benefit. But if you still would like to try I would have an evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Then ask him to write to the insurance company a pre-determination letter including photos. Maybe, just maybe, you will get an approval. But I doubt it. Regards and best of luck.

Insurance Coverage for Breast Lift (Mastopexy) after Large Weight Loss

+1

No insurance company that I am familiar with will EVER cover / Pay for a Cosmetic procedure REGARDLESS of the reason. Breast Lift is a cosmetic operation and you will have a very hard time finding any insurance that would pay for it, be it BCBS or others.

Sorry.

Dr. P. Aldea

BCBS does not cover breast lift

+1

Great job and keep up the good work. You need to have breast lift and insurance companies do not cover breast lift. This is more specific for the BC/BS, they do not cover breast lft or breast reduction.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Insurance coverage for Breast Lift

+1

Breast lift is considered a cosmetic procedure, while a breast reduction is considered reconstruction, or medically necessary. Cosmetic procedures are not covered by insurance. Best to check with a plastic surgeon, perhaps he can find a way to get it covered.

sek

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Breast lifts and insurance

+1

I congratulate you on the weight loss, but unfortunately, I know of no insurance company that will cover a breast lift operation under their insurance plan.