Breast Lift W/ Augmentation - Gaps in Stitching? (photo)

I am 2 weeks post op for a breast lift w/ aug. All stitches are dissolvable. I am concerned that I lost a few stitches on my right breast. What is normally done in these cases? Can my PS use local anesthesia and add a couple more stitches? Would he have to cut away any scar tissue that has formed in the last couple weeks? Do I need to let everything heal completely before any revisions can be done? Also I seem to have the loose end of a stitch that popped up. Can this be trimmed or pushed back in?

Breast Augmentation - Gaps in stitching

+1

Give it time.  Let them heal and then revise the scar.  Anything before that is really risky and you may end up with similar problems. 

Open areas after surgery

+1

This is not uncommon. Local wound care at the direction of your PS should be sufficient. Good luck

John Paletta, MD
Savannah Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Thank you for the question. I would allow 6 months for the wounds and scars to heal. The final scar takes that long to mature. Discuss some options with your surgeon in the mean time. Best Wishes  Dr Thomas Narsete Austin, Tx 

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Common complication in combined procedures (BA+lift)

+1

This complication cand occur when a breast augmentation and a breast lift are combined in the same surgical procedure.

It's not very important; tissues may heal completely (with proper care). My advice is to let everithing heal completely (9-12 months) and if needed, in this moment, perform a scar revision surgery.

During this time, your plastic surgeon will give you the best advices to properly treat your incisions/scars. Usually, sunscreens and silicone gel topical sheets do a great job in the final appearance.

Good luck!

Enrique Etxeberria, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift W/ Augmentation - Gaps in Stitching?

+1

It is not unheard-of to have gaps such as this, particularly in this location and after this procedure (that's part of where the maximum tension is following this combined procedure).  At this point, most likely, you will have local wound care as opposed to another procedure and then, if necessary (and it often isn't, despite its appearance at this time) a scar revision at some point in the future.  You also have to be sure that the implant is not exposed (although it does not appear to be from the photo).  Either way, contact your PS and go through the various options with him/her.

Good luck and I hope that this has helped,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Gaps in Stitching?

+1

Small areas of wound separation in reaction to protruding sutures are quite common, and are managed by removal of the affected sutures and wound care. Rarely are these sutured back together, because the healing is quicker and better when the open areas are allowed to heal on their own.

Ask your surgeon before dealing with exposed sutures yourself. 

Chances are you will not need any revision related to the exposed sutures. All the best. 

Open are after Breast Lift

+1

Thank you for your question about healing after your breast lift/augmentation.

• The photo suggests your body is reacting to the absorbable sutures,
  • This is common, 
  • See your plastic surgeon. S/he will tell you what to do and may remove the sutures. You will heal fine once the suture is removed or absorbed.
  • No further cutting or suturing will be needed - it won't help at all

Hope this helps. Best wishes.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Suture issues in breast surgery

+1

You should go back to be seen by your doctor.  Wound management will be discussed, but they won't be re-stitching the areas as this can lead to infection.  This will all heal in time.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS