Is a Breast Lift with Tummy Tuck too much recovery pain to handle?

I need a breast lift and tummy tuck procedure done but I am afraid of the recovery pain. Is the pain or recovery time doubled because more than one procedure is being done? Should I do them separately or all in one shot? I have two kids but had them naturally so never went through c-section or any surgery in my life.

+1
A breast lift is fairly painless and does not add to your recovery if you are having it along with the tummy tuck.  If you are having a lift along with implants that would be somewhat painful, but a lift alone is surprisingly painless.

Combination procedure

+1
The combination of the breast lift with the tummy tuck is a very safe and common one.  Most of the pain will probably be in the abdomen, especially if significant muscle tightening is done.  A breast lift doesn't hurt that much in most cases.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast lift and tummy tuck

+1
It's very normal to be concerned about post-op pain.  The good news is that the breast lift is not a painful surgery. Most women who have both operations together tell me that the breast lift portion was easy, and most of the discomfort was related to the tummy tuck, especially if liposuction of the flanks was done at the same time.

So, I hope you would have a similar positive experience too.

PS:  Our new "TAP block" technique for tummy tucks significantly reduces post-op tummy soreness!

Thomas Fiala, MD

Breast lift and tummy tuck

+1
This combination of procedures is quite commonly done at one operation. Recovery time and pain is probably less than doing these separately.  Most patients will experience the majority of discomfort in the abdomen, and hardly notice any pain in the breasts.  The tummy tuck is also the longer recovery, and doing the breast lift will not add time if done together. 

Thanks for your question, all the best. 

Mommy makeover recovery better with Exparel

+1
The combination of breast surgery (lift and/or implants) with a tummy tuck is often called a mommy makeover, and it is usually done in one operation. That way you have less overall recovery time (as compared to different surgeries on different days) and less expense. The use of Exparel, a long-acting numbing agent, has made a big difference because patients feel less pain and don't need as much pain medication.

Richard Baxter, MD

Combined breast lift and tummy tuck

+1
It is very common to combine a breast lift and a tummy tuck at the same time. Provided you are in good overall health, this can be done in about four hours which is quite safe. The pain of the tummy tuck is more severe than the breast lift itself. Adding a breast lift to a tummy tuck does not add much more pain as it's the tummy tuck with it's muscle tightening which causes the most pain. I would suggest taking about one week off from work to recover and avoid heavy lifting for about four to six weeks after surgery. Consult with a few board certified plastic surgeons to a comprehensive examination to see if you are a good candidate for this type of surgery.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Breast lift and tummy tuck

+1
The combination procedure is one of the most common we do at the Philadelphia Surgi-Center.  Seek out a provider who can show you images of results and has confidence in the combined process.  It should take less than four hours.  The recovery is no picnic, but you only recover once.  The tummy tuck will be the more painfull, and you may not even notice the breast surgery because of that.  Good Luck

Neil Gottlieb, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift and tummy tuck are frequently done together at the same procedure

+1
Although many patients choose to have the combination of breast lift and tummy tuck done at the same time I see believe your recovery will be easier if you have them done a separate procedures.  It is especially important to listen to your own thoughts and anxieties.  If you're concerned about pain following recovery, you're worries may make your recovery more difficult.

There is nothing wrong with having both of these procedures done separately.  The reason to do them together is to avoid having 2 separate operations and 2 separate recovery periods.  Please follow the advice of the plastic surgeon that you choose.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Breast Lift and Tummy Tuck

+1
Having a breast lift and tummy tuck at the same time is a very common procedure. In fact combing these two operations together is one of the most common operations we perform. Having both of these operations together is called a mommy makeover.

It is usually completely safe to have both operations performed at the same time. In fact it may be safer to have these operations performed together, under one anesthetic, rather than undergoing the two separate operations. At The Plastic Surgery Clinic we use a pain relief pump so patients have very little pain after their surgery. The best part about combining these operations is that it reduces the recovery time by half. For example if recovery for a tummy tuck is usually about 3 weeks. And the recovery for breast lift is about 3 weeks as well. However if you perform these operations together then recovery is still only 3 weeks rather than the 6 weeks that would be required if you had performed them seperatley.

Frank Lista, MD

Breast lift and tummy tuck. Painful?

+1
Thank you for your question. It all depends on how fit you are, on your pain threshold, on the amount of help and support you might be having after surgery and finally also on the surgical technique your surgeon will use. Gentle handling of tissues, use of infiltration containing local anesthetic, close monitoring and appropriate pain relief  post operatively is essential. I am sure that you will find your surgeon helpful. It might be also useful to talk to some other patients who had the same procedure and ask their experience.
All the best.
Andrea Marando

Andrea Marando, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon