Breast Lift at the Time of Tummy Tuck?

I wanted to have my breasts lifted and breast implants at the time of tummy tuck. Because I am heavy, and my tumyy tuck was going to be lengthy my plastic surgeons suggested doing it later. what do you think?

Cosmetic surgery limited to 6 hours

+2

I do not recommedn you undergo a breast lift with implants and abdominoplasty at the same time.  You state that you are heavy and that puts you at a higher risk.  Multiple procedures requiring more than 6 hours puts you at a risk for pulmonary problems and blood clots.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Timing of Multiple Surgical Procedures

+1

Thank you for your question. Whether those procedures should be added at the same time or not is really up to your surgeon. Typically one tries to avoid going over 6 hours under anesthesia as this will increase your risk of a complication. The fact that you are, as stated in your question, heavy and undergoing an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) these are factors that increase your chances of deep venous thrombi (clots in the deep veins of the legs). These thrombi can break loose causing a pulmonary embolus (clot in the lungs) which can be fatal.

If your plastic surgeon feels that it would not be safe to add a mastopexy (beast lift) with augmentation at the same time I would defer to their judgement. They have the advantage of an in-person exam, therefore know best what is needed to correct your abdomen and how long that will take in their hands.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Pedro M. Soler, Jr., MD

Mommy makeover

+1

Breast augmentation with lift and tummy tuck is a very common combination surgery in mommy makeover.  It usually takes 5-7 hours depending on your size and complexity of surgery.  it is a very safe surgery as long as you are healthy.  You can visit another board-certified plastic surgeon for second opinion; however, you should follow the advice/recommendation of plastic surgeon that you choose to go with for surgery.

Sugene Kim, MD

Breast Lift with Tummy Tuck

+1

A breast augmentation/lift with tummy tuck is one of the more common procedures performed.   I generally recommend an overnight stay in a hospital, such that a registered nurse can ensure your safety and comfort as you begin your recovery.

Depending on your medical history and body mass index, your surgeon may limit your overall surgery time/procedures for safety reasons.  

If you have any concerns about your treatment plan, I would recommend you visit with 3-4 board certified plastic surgeons to help make an educated decision.

I wish you safe and successful procedure!!

Paul S. Gill, MD

Tummy tuck

+1

Breast lift and tummy tuck are a common combo procedure.  I feel it is perfectly safe to combine these procedures.  However, if your tummy tuck is  a large one and anticipated to take much longer than usual, I might also elect to perform them separately.  Either approach is fine.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Combination Surgery

+1

It is always convenient too be able to combine procedures into one surgery. But safety comes first. Sometimes it is wise to separate them. There are many issues that go into this decision, including the length of the surgery, and general health of the patient. If you are happy with your choice of surgeon, trust him/her. Good luck.

Ronald Schuster, MD

Breast lift and tummy tuck

+1

Thank you for the question. I think your plastic surgeon has a point. However, you may want to get a second opinion. The decision to do everything at the same time or different procedures depends in part on examination findings and your medical history. Your plastic surgeon may have a valid point for splitting the procedure. Best wishes.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Tummy tuck with breast lift & augmentation

+1

This procedure can be done safely in my opinion as long as both procedures individually are not complicated by exceptionally large amounts of loose skin and/or fat to be removed.  I generally limit my cases to 5 hours to minimize serious complications of lengthy surgeries (ie: blood clots).  In your case it sounds like it might be safer for you to break it up in two surgeries.  This is definitely not unreasonable and it sounds like  your surgeon is more cautious.  For a real second opinion I suggest you seek a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who performs these surgeries often.  Good luck!

Milind K. Ambe, MD

Mommy makeover sequence

+1

Breast and abdominal surgery can be safely combined, especially for 'mommy makeover' type of procedures.  However, this is not always the case, and there are instances that they must be done at different times for reasons of patient safety.  After talking to your surgeon, you should be able to understand his reasoning, and seek a second opinion from a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area if not. 

Hope this helps, 

Dr. Hall

Jason J. Hall, MD, FACS

If you are a low risk for surgery and the surgery is not extensive, then tummy tuck and breast lift with implants can be done at

+1

If you are a low risk for surgery and the surgery is not extensive, then tummy tuck and breast lift with implants can be done at the same time.

If you are a high risk for the surgery or the surgery is more involved, then it may be safer to separate the surgeries by 3-6 months. You do not want to get a DVT. If you are everweight, then you are at risk of DVT or even worse an pulmonary embolus.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.  I hope this helps.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS