Breast Lift Absorbable Suture for Less Visible Scarring?

Is there a type of an absorbable suture that leaves less visible scarring for anchor Mastopexy?

Breast lift absorbable suture for less visible scarring?

+1
Hello! Thank you for your question. There really is no suture that will definitely give a better scar, but absorbable sutures are preferred. Meticulous technique and the way your body heals are important factors. Other than that, your compliance with postop care, incision management, absence from nicotine, avoidance of UV light, etc will be critical. It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Breast Lifting and Suture Type?

+1

Unfortunately, there is no specific absorbable suture that leaves less scarring after mastopexy surgery.  Sometimes, despite surgeons best efforts,  patients to develop wide scars ( hypertrophic or keloid). these may be related to factors beyond surgeon control such as genetics, ethnicity, or patient specific propensity for heavy scarring.

Fortunately most patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations and the right time of their lives) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry. This acceptance of the scars is the essential “trade-off” associated with many of the procedures we do and the field of plastic surgery.

.
Time tends to improve the appearance of scars. You will find that the scars will improve in appearance even after a year has gone by.

Sometimes the use of silicone-based products may be helpful after surgery. In the event of unfavorable scarring steroid injection may be helpful. The use of superficial radiation treatment is possible for symptomatic scars.  Sometimes scar revision surgery and careful scar management afterwards may be helpful. Despite anecdotal reports I have not seen significant improvement with laser treatment of scars.

Absorbable suture and scarring

+1

Absorbable sutures do not create less of a scar than sutures that are removed.  Anytime the skin is cut, a scar develops.

Absorbable suture for breast lift

+1

There are many important factors to consider when trying to minimize the scarring after a breast lift. The amount and quality of scars that you will have is determined by the way your skin heals, by the surgical technique that is used, and lastly by the suture. It is more important to ensure that your skin is closed with no extra tension as the extra tension can make the scar widened or heal thickly. Avoid breast lift techniques that only depend on the skin to maintain the shape of the breast. Ultimately, the skin will stretch out and your breast will remain with the boxy appearance and thick scars.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Don't need anchor scar for breast lift.

+1

Hi.

In New York City, we never use an anchor scar for a breast lift.  The Lejour technique is best, because it shapes the breast from the inside (long term result), and leaves only a lollipop scar.

To answer your question, absorbable stitches are good for best scars.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Why anchor mastopexy?

+1

Unless you have extremely sagging breasts, there is probably no reason why you should need an anchor type scar mastopexy. Newer concepts and designs can probably obviate the need for the inframammary scar on the inner portion (medial) of the breasts (i.e. short inframammary scar technique) and even the entire inframammary scar (i.e. vertical mastopexy pattern). I have not needed to use the anchor pattern for over 15 years. I would ask your surgeon why he needs to use that incision and perhaps seek a second opinion.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

The scar is not necessarily related to the type of suture.

+1

All of us are committed to minimizing scars in anchor mastopexy procedures. If you heal without an infection or wound separation, then the determinant factors are more likely to be genetics than what type of suture was used. We recommend scar solutions or scar silicone sheeting on all patients as soon as the wound is completely healed. Wounds take 1 full year for the scar to mature so don't get discouraged early on.

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

There is no new suture that will leave less scarring

+1

Plastic surgery has advanced tremendously. We know how scars heal and what we can do to make them better. All plastic surgeons use absorbable sutures and meticulous technique to improve scarring. However, there is no new suture which reduces scarring anymore than other sutures at this point.

John Diaz, MD

Scare care after breast lift

+1

Dear Patty,

If we knew that there was one suture which resulted in less scaring than any other, all of us would use it on every patient. Everyone heals differently as a matter of genetics. The surgeon can do certain things to improve the scar (minimize tension, be gentle with tissues, etc), and there are some things the patient can do to help as well. At a minimum, I recommend patients use scar creams, and if they are showing tendencies to scar hypertrophy, I then suggest silicon sheeting. Please see my scar care web-page for more info.

Dr.B

Michael A. Bogdan, MD, FACS