Breast Lift - Surgery Type and With / Without Implants?

I'm 23 years old and I have saggy breasts. Ever since I developed they have always had a downward sloping shape and appeared saggy. But I recently lost weight and went from a 36DDD to a large C/small D and the shape and heaviness has dramatically increased. My nipples point downward and they are a couple of cm below my natural fold. I was wondering what type of breast lift I should discuss during my consultation and whether or not the use of implants would be suitable for my breasts?

Breast Lift Technique?

+1

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your weight loss.

Based on your description you will benefit from breast lifting plus or minus breast implants as well. Exactly what operation will best serve your needs will depend on careful physical examination and discussion of your goals.

Most patients undergoing these procedures will accept scarring as long as their overall goals in regards to size, shape, contour and symmetry are met. 

When the time is right ( based on life circumstances and having achieved a long-term stable weight) seek consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Breast Lift After Weight Loss

+1

You sound like you have grade III ptosis which means a full lift is probably your safest bet. Implants will give you more fullness in the upper part of the breast. If that is desirable then consider them as well.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift - Surgery Type and With / Without Implants

+1

Your question is a very good one but impossible to answer without an examination much less a photograph.

I you are happy with the volume the breasts occupy in your bra then all you would need to make them perky is a breast lift. If at all possible I would ask for a Short Scar Lift (Hall-Findlay) and get several opinions. This operation avoids the horizontal under the breast scar and its results last longer.

If you are NOT happy with your present volume, you would need a Breast Augmentation with lift. Here you will need to choose the implant type and volume as well as the lift type. I would be careful to stay away from around the nipple complex - Benelli-type lifts. These operations are good only with very minimal sagging and do not do well with more significant sagging where they flatten the breast and enlarge the areola.

Good Luck.

Dr. Aldea

+1

Only from your description can I recommend a full Mastopexy or anchor lift as the better option. As for implants with the lifting is a personal decision. Better to see a PS in person. 

Breast lift

+1

Photos would help out here..  If the breast are quite saggy and the skin is very loose you may need a foirmal mastopexy with a Wise skin pattern excision( an anchor) or possibly  a lollipop closure.

Vertical breast lift with lollipop scars is most effective.

+1

Hi.

1) For severe sagging (which is what it sounds like), the vertical operation (Lejour technique) gives best long term results.

2) It works well with or without implants. Implants only if you want to be bigger.

3) For moderate sagging, we use Benelli breast lift (circular scars around nipples), usually with implants.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

VIDEO: Breast lift (mastopexy) without implants

+1

If you are generally happy with your breast size, you would generally not require an implant. Implants do achieve greater upper fullness. Discuss this with your surgeon.

Watch out for the short distance from the fold to the areola in young patients

+1

Patients like yourself often have a particular variant of breast ptosis in which there is actually a deficiency of skin from the fold to the areola.  This tethers the nipple down rather than allowing it to be up and forward.

This is opposed to the usual situation where there is too much skin.  An experinced surgeon will recognize this and an inexperienced surgeon may make mistakes in planning based on not recognizing it.

The lift reshapes you and elevates the nipple to where it belongs and the implant is added if you need more volume.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Technique is the LAST thing you should be thinking about...

+1

Hi there-

Things that will be important in you achieving the breast contour you desire in a safe and pleasant experience will include the education, training, experience, and skill of the surgeon you choose, the quality of the facility, the skills and training of the anesthesia provider, and how careful you are to follow the instructions given you by your surgeon.

Provided you choose a surgeon carefully (for advice on how to do this follow the link below), you should be able to trust their recommendations for the technique that is most likely to help you get what you want, based on your consultation with them, their examination of your body, and their experience and skill.

Don't get caught up in which type of procedure others on this site have had- it will only confuse you and could potentially be the reason you end up unhappy.

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Determine goals not procedure before consultation for breast lift

+1

Your plastic surgeon will recommend the best procedure depending upon your goals. A breast lift seems very likely but as you know there are different ways of doing it, and the best for your specific case will depend on several things. One thing that no breast lift can provide over the long-term is fullness in the upper half of the breast, so implants may be recommended if that is what you want. This in turn may change the type of breast lift since the volume of the breast will be increased. So  think about the look you want and keep an open mind.

Richard Baxter, MD