Is Breast Lift on One Side Worth 2 Different Aerola Scars? (photo)

I'm having 375cc Round High Profile Implant placed, with the peri-areolar incision. I'm also scheduled to have a lift on my left breast. The asymmetry really bothers me. Will the different incision around my aerolas look worse then my nipples being at different heights. The left nipple is just 0.5 inches lower. How successful are lifts at correcting asymmetry? Would you recommend the lift? Or will I be happier if I just do the implants with a inframammary incision. Which incision is best?

Breast asymmetry

+1

Some asymmetry is normal if your areola needs a lift then an incision around the border of the areola is possible.

Breast augmentation possible lift

+1

Thank you for the question. The decision to do lift on the left breast is  essentially your decision. You need to see photos of patient who have similar asymmetry  and compare the results of different treatment options. Your condition is not uncommon and lifting the left breast does entail more scars than the right side , but the symmetry will improve. On the other hand  many patients will elect to ignore the difference and just get breast implants.  You want to be very clear with your plastic surgeon about what you want to achieve. Keep on mind you can get the lift as a second procedure after the augmentation. I wish you all the best.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Breast Lift on one side for asymmetry

+1

Thank you for your question and the photos.

The answer to your question depends on you. It depends on how badly your asymmetry bothers you, and whether or not you think is worth trading asymmetry for a scar.  Scars do fade in time and it is likely not to be very noticable after 1-2 years time.

Breast implants will restore volume if you want to be fuller and slightly larger.

To be sure, see two or more board-certified plastic surgeons in your area for a full and complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have surgery.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Breast Asymmetry and Breast Augmentation/Lifting Concerns?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Assuming you have done your due diligence  and have selected your plastic surgeon carefully, he/she will be in the best position to advise you after careful communication of your goals and the pros/cons of the surgical options available.

Given that you state that your  breast asymmetry “really bothers” you,  it is likely that you will be happier with improvement of the breast asymmetry that can result from a minor breast lift on the lower side. Of course, the downside will be the additional scar (and possible areola asymmetry).  Make sure you do your homework about the additional potential risk/complications associated with even minor breast lifting.

Ultimately, it will be a personal decision that only you can make.  I have had similar patients who have opted to undergo breast augmentation only,  understanding that if  postoperative breast asymmetry is a concern,  a minor breast lift would be an option subsequently. On the other hand, I have had patients who  are more concerned  about achieving as much breast symmetry is possible, as opposed to scars associated with breast lifting…  Keep in mind, that despite best efforts, absolute breast symmetry is rarely ever achieved (realistic expectations).