Will my Breasts Settle After Breast Lift?

I had a breast lift without implants twelve days ago to correct tuberous breasts that had lost almost all shape due to a 70-pound weight loss. They sagged to my elbows and lay almost flat against my chest. My new breasts are a vast improvement, but they look like Barbie's--they defy gravity by sticking straight out and are quite far apart. Will they eventually "settle", with a "fold" under them, like natural breasts? Or should I start shopping for a coconut bra?

Give breast lift time

+2

Hold off on the coconut bra!  It is way too early to predict exactly how the breast will look after a few months when they settle. Give it some time and follow your doctor's instructions.  Besides I prefer the Nurse Diesel bra (from High Anxiety) that Cloris Leachman wore! ( LOL)

Breasts settle after breast lift.

+2

Hi.

From your description, it sounds like you had a very well done breast lift.  Don't worry.  Your breasts will settle somewhat during the next several months.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

It takes several months to see the final result of breast lift surgery

+2
Yes, only 12 days post-operatively from breast lift surgery, yur breasts would be expected to be swollen and not an ideal representation of your final result.  If you have implants in place, implants also tend to "fall" with time.

Christopher J. Davidson, MD, FACS
Wellesley Plastic Surgeon

All breasts "settle"

+2

All breasts will tend to 'settle' after surgery as swelling decreases, gravity and weight take effect, and the soft tissues start to stretch. Of course, settling can be an undesirable effects if they begin to "bottom out". However, it sounds like your situation is not like that. You might ask your surgoen what technique he or she used as some techniques for lifts produce unnaturally compacted and elevated breasts because there is an expectation of significant "settling." I would suggest "hanging in there!" It is too early in your recovery to start being critical.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Breast Lift Settling

+2

Yes they will settle so hold on to buying coconut bras yet. I generally tell my patients that at about 4 months time they will reach the final result from the lift. It is important to wear a good support bra when your surgeon feels it is time to do so, because this will help prolong your results.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Breast Implant Settling

+1

Yes, they should settle with time.  You are only 12 days post op surgery. I normally tell my patients that it can take 3-6 months for things to fully settle and for the shape to improve and to have a more natural look and feel.  You can discuss with your surgeon if he/she recommends downward massage for your case and follow their instruction.  It is too early to be worried...be patient.

Best Wishes!

Healing after breast lift surgery

+1

There is a healing process after breast lift surgery. Depending on the technique that the surgeon will use, the position and shape of your breasts will change after surgery. You can expect some settling of the breast after surgery. In our practice, we always used surgical techniques that allow us to recontour  in support the inner breast tissue. The skin is then gently draped without tension over this newly shaped breast mound. In this way, the patient will benefit from an improved appearance of the breast, longer lasting results that don't rely on the support of the skin and finer scars. 

Pat Pazmino, MD